NSW How was the Property expo?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by MyDarlinghurst, 23rd Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MyDarlinghurst

MyDarlinghurst Well-Known Member

Those of you who went to the weekend property expo in Sydney how did you find it?

Was it beneficial and informative ?

2. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

It seems to be getting smaller and there weren't a lot of people there when I wandered down on Friday. But the weekends would have had more people.
    It is interesting to see the different focus over the years.
    I recall one year when there must have been five stands with people flogging US property. There were none this year.
    Other years there has been a focus on Melbourne or Brissy.
    This year it was Sydney's turn. There were lots of stands with people flogging Sydney apartments and nearly all of them were manned by Chinese salespeople.
    Oddest stand? The one selling tickets to that Chinese dancing thing that comes here once a year.

3. Player

Player Well-Known Member

I stuck my head in on Saturday. I was in town for the Peter Thornhill seminar on Sunday. The expo was rubbish albeit i had a free ticket. Full of spruikers trying to offload the apartments they cant move. Whoever didn't go missed nothing at all. Aside from REBA and some (very few) informative stands IMHO it was quite lame. New convention centre was a stand out I must admit.

Last edited: 23rd Oct, 2017
    DowntownBlock likes this.
  4. Andrew Allen

Andrew Allen Well-Known Member Business Member

Great to know the REBAA stand was good. There's always a collection of characters at these events, promoting all sorts of schemes, hard times for those looking to sell apartments :)

Sackie and Player like this.
  5. David Shih

David Shih Mortgage Broker Business Member

LOL it was a bit of mixed bag to be honest. I went on Saturday and all the stands are filled with desperate salespeople wandering around trying to push their "excellent product" your way....and yes, mostly Chinese coz the first thing they ask is "Hello! Can you speak Chinese?"...

I was there for the speakers really. Bryce Holdaway didn't disappoint but I wish he covered more in depth (that'll be for his paid clients I suppose :rolleyes:).

Andrew Wilson was the Japanese shinkansen in the last 10 mins - trying to dump 1 hour presentation info within 15 mins isn't really a smart idea especially it's slide after slide of stats. Those who have attended his talk on Friday would've got more gold nuggets than the Saturday crew I think.

Margaret Lomas's hotspot prediction was interesting as always....which is why I made a note of them in the other post here and we can check back in one year later to see how many darts have hit the bull's eye ;)

I heard a similar one in previous weekend was even worse. Apparently that was purely for Chinese sellers - packed with OTP stuff. And according to my mates you get dragged into their stand even if you don't like it/want it. Geez :eek::eek:

Danyool, Jess Peletier and Eric Wu like this.
  6. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member

you came out in one piece/intact, well done. :);):cool::D

jim1964 likes this.
  7. devank

devank Well-Known Member

That's the only brochure I actually took it myself. Looks fun to go with kids.

8. bookworm

bookworm Well-Known Member

Good speakers, but some very aggressive sales people trying to flog house and land packages, brisbane CBD apartments and property through wealth financial planning.

9. MyDarlinghurst

MyDarlinghurst Well-Known Member

Welll sounds like I didn't miss out on anything

The only thing I would of been going for would of been the talking seminars

Paul the accountant apparently had a stall there would of been good to catch up with him

10. Athikalaka

Athikalaka Well-Known Member

I thought there was a rule for vendors to not disturb us if we're in the chill out lounge area or at the talks. Had a few Chinese sellers picking off people who were standing at the edge of the talks or come up to me when I was taking a time out on the seats. Got hammered by 4 different Chinese sellers within 5 metres of the front door. Felt so dirty I felt like i needed to take a shower. My child was wandering around and Yellow Brick Road had these stress (ball) bricks, gave one to my kid, without trying to sell anything. That made more of a brand impact than those sellers at the door!

Danyool likes this.
  11. devank

devank Well-Known Member

Paul was bored. Maybe he needs to hire few young girls :)

12. Jjjb

Jjjb Active Member

All the stands weren’t that crash hot just selling , though all the speakers were really good

13. PropDir

PropDir Well-Known Member Business Member

Thanks for this, I was just searching 'property expo' on the forums to see what people thought about it - I couldn't make it this weekend so thought I might have missed out on something.. I'm mainly interested in meeting other investors and professionals to get some new ideas/insights and ways to make new contacts but it doesn't really seem to be that...

I'm guessing nothing much would have changed since 2017 :p

14. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Still has the same punters complaining that they can't afford anything and it's not getting any more affordable. :oops:

craigc likes this.