How Tough is it as a mortgage broker today?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by MTR, 2nd Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

In current climate must be difficult ?

Do you look at other ways of generating income ??

MTR

2. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

A lot of new entrants to the biz must be struggling... established ones would have a good trail book.

Some of the franchise owners eg rams, mortgage choice would have the brand advertising behind them too

3. qak

qak Well-Known Member

My partner does assessments for an educational provider in mortgage broking. I've seen the quality of some of the assessments, it is scary to think anyone might rely on information or advice provided by these students.

Also scary is the level of entitlement some people have when it comes to grading, re-grading, appeals, recognition of prior learning, and trying to get answers to assessment questions.

Ross Forrester and Terry_w like this.
  4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Right
    Just thought is would be tough for anyone to generate new business especially in current climate

Last edited: 2nd Apr, 2018
  5. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

There is a lot more work compliance wise. It makes it difficult to work solo. In my case that means employing someone to do data entry and other banck office tasks. Many other brokers outsource this work.

It cracks me up thinking of someone in Delhi calling on behalf of an AU broker speaking to the call centre based in the Phillipines of an AU bank.....

It’s still fairly busy. The stamp duty changes for FHBs in Victoria means there is still lots of customers, fhb and upgraders purchasing as well as refinancers leaving IO and fixing,
    One of the jobs of my staff is doing the multiple pricing requests with each lenders websites.

I haven’t investigated other income sources, but I do work closely with a financial planner and buyers agent, more to protect clients being poached than as a secondary income stream.

Last edited: 2nd Apr, 2018
  6. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Ive found the beginning of the year a little quieter than usual, but still busy on the whole!

7. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

You can look at the twitter feed to feel how tough it is for the new brokers.

Jamie Moore, Corey Batt and D.T. like this.
  8. Jess Peletier

Pretty sure advertising is an accepted means of generating new biz for new to industry and old alike - don’t want to save all your advertising for when you’re hungry ;)

9. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

As my Local Redhead says

please explain :)

And I mean please elaborate on what twitter has to do with broking ?

ta
    rolf

10. Terry_w

Twitter is used by some brokers to advertise on PC chat. It got annoying seeing the same ad every 4 hours so I have turned the feed off now.

11. Rolf Latham

I hear.

Advertising per se, doesnt indicate any level of "toughness of market"........its usually the opposite I find

One of my mentees that was doing "ok" with their biz, was spending 50 k a mth on facebook and other marketing.

ta
    rolf

12. Terry_w

You can see the number of twitter posts by brokers increasing as the market tightens up. Might be a sign of falling client enquiries, but might be for other reasons too.

13. Jess Peletier

:eek:

Wow. Must be doing ‘okay’.

14. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

I'm generating a part time income from it while ive been getting my own house sorted but I can see that it is quite competitive to obtain local business around here. I have a steady client base from my investor circles but with many still unable to refinance dollar for dollar i have been testing the waters for local refinance clients.
    Tobe is spot on regarding compliance. It takes a lot longer to set up a loan than it used to.
    I know of a few franchisees struggling atm. Their volumes are down and with a percentage going to the franchisor and covering front desk staff their incomes are spread thin.

Terry_w likes this.
  15. Rolf Latham

yes indeed......... lowish margins, but huge turnovers

ta

rolf

16. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

I have to say that for the last few years in PC I have noticed a number of people jumping into broking. So it looks like that the brokers must have been doing well for the last few years in terms of dollars, so everyone is jumping into it.

Of course outside PC there are tons of them around. With low barrier of entry it means that there are tons of people fighting for your services ..... When the market is down I guess it is then survival of the fittest.

17. Rolf Latham

Darwinian at its best !

ta
    rolf

18. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Actually - I'm not sure this is the case at all. I think you'll find that some of the younger brokers out there (and some of the more technically savvy older brokers!) are really great with using the platform of social media to generate new business.

Assuming you have the capacity to service new clients - it makes perfect sense to use all marketing avenues at your disposal to generate new business, even when things aren't slowing down.

It's not as if Twitter costs anything to use!

19. Terry_w

Tech savvy wouldn't mean posting the same post every 4 hours though would it?

20. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Twitter is about attention - most people dip their toes into the information stream several times per day and the only things they see is the stuff that has most recently been posted. It's not like a forum where you go back and read all the unread posts since your last visit. Posting frequently can help keep your brand visible.

Not saying it's the best strategy - but it is a common one.