How to use the figure in depreciation report?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by happydays123, 22nd Sep, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. happydays123

happydays123 Member

Hi all, I received my depreciation report from a depreciator for my IP.
    Under the Tax Depreciation Schedule Summary, it said the yearly claim for the financial year is $9000 under Building Allowance.

Should I put this $9000 figure to "Total capital works - manually calculated" under the "rental income" section to claim the depreciation?

I was thinking whether I should put the building allowance to "total capital allowances - manually calculated" or "Total capital works - manually calculated", as the names are very similar. But after doing some research it seems "Total capital works - manually calculated" is for building allowance.

Anyone with an IP doing DIY return yourself? Can you please advise is my understanding correct? Thanks.

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

You know the saying "a client who represents themselves in legal matters, has a fool for a client".....replace the word "legal" with "tax accounting" :p

Pingu1988 and marty998 like this.
  3. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

The problems are in the questions you dont know enough to ask.

how do you know you are claiming everything correctly? Depreciation v repairs? Claiming loan fees over multiple years?

Shazi and Propertunity like this.
  4. Skinman

Skinman Well-Known Member

You can claim the cost of paying a professional to do your return under the “managing tax affairs” field...it will probably save you more than doing it yourself...or as a minimum pay someone to do it for one year...get a copy of the complete submitted claim and the copy it next year :cool:

Shazi, craigc, jared7825 and 3 others like this.
  5. BMT Tax Depreciation

BMT Tax Depreciation Chris Business Member

This is correct, as far as I'm aware. The wording has always been ambiguous (e.g., it doesn't call it depreciation).

For what it's worth, any provider worth their salt should be able to help you interpret their report.