How to turn my garage into two bedrooms?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by spludgey, 25th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

In my PPOR my partner is busily planning for a Brady Bunch sized family (we currently have no children and none on the way).
    This means that we need to convert one of our garages into two bedrooms. That way we can keep the study and the guest bedroom.

The only problems is that the garage could only be accessed through the study which is right in the corner, which means that one of the rooms will either have to be a pass-through room or I will have to build an awkward hallway which will make the front room quite small.

Maybe one of you has a better solution? floorplan1.gif

2. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Are the walls around the to-be study structural?

You could knock them out and open up the Family area if not.

3. Random Username

Random Username Well-Known Member

Does the garage have a damp proof membrane under it?

4. spludgey

I think it might, but I'll confirm it. The garage is 300mm lower than the house, so getting a moisture barrier in won't be an issue.

That would leave me with less rooms, I wantmore though.

5. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I was thinking if just turning that into a study, you could remove the walls but retain the function of a study by integrating a desk in the current BIR, chucking some shelving in and have room for a couple of chairs/sofa to boot so it became its own area, but was open. Then there'd be no need to walk through a room to get into the new rooms.

But as you mention, that means one less "room".

6. Random Username

Random Username Well-Known Member

But you'd still have to walk through one of the new bedrooms to get to the second new bedroom.

7. spludgey

I should have cleared it up. I want to divide the garage into two rooms, not one big room and that's actually my problem.
    I've attached the two options that I've come up with below and I don't like either of them.

The only other option I have come up with is to have a door into the back room through the master bedroom, but that's worse than the other two options, so definitely not anything that I'm seriously considering.

floorplanOption2.png floorplanOption1.png

8. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

I have an easier option. Convert garage into lounge and lounge into your 2 addiional x bedrooms.

9. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

Do you want the conversion council approved? If so, I'd speak to a certifier.

I think you may have a problem turning the Garage into habitable rooms if it's 300mm lower than the house. The BCA requires external surface drainage to be dealt with by having your internal slab up to 150mm higher than external ground, or a relieving slab falling away from house including a 50mm height difference to inside.

10. spludgey

The ceiling height is the same in the house, so it's currently just under 3m and it would obviously still be over 2.4m one connected.
    The slab is currently sloping slightly towards the driveway, but I don't know if it's 50mm.
    The only reason why I would consider getting council approval is that I wouldn't want them to come knocking saying that I have to convert it back.

11. skater

skater Well-Known Member

How about this?

Attached Files:

12. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

My Son In Law wanted 4 kids, my daughter wanted 2. After number 2 he said stop. I don't think he realised he actually had to do something. haha! Then my daughter wanted a third. It took a lot of convincing but they ended up with 3.
    My other daughter put a doorway into the garage to make a rumpus room. It turned out great. Even if the first room in the garage has a lounge for a playroom, sitting/TV room? Or for a younger child it wouldn't matter so much.

13. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

i think your option 2 sketch may best. but with the study you might want to leave doors off (just an opening) becuse passing through doors looks dodgey.
    good luck with council! haha. look into your options first! if your staying long term dont go to council, massive pain.

the bca requires 300. yoh wont have 300 clear under bearers and joists.

i rnclosed a carport and had a imilar issue! i could only get 200ish. one idea they suggested was to rip up concreye and dig down!... so id have a pool under the house! morons.

14. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Please move the sink away from your toilet in the family bathroom.

15. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

Those rooms in your garage look massive. If I were you, I would turn the study into a play room and try and fit an additional two bedrooms and a study in the garage. You could make your study come off your main bedroom. This way you can hide the mess your future kids will make in the previous study now new playroom.

An additional benefit is, when the first one comes along that extra room you have attached to your main bedroom can be a nursery instead of a study, that will one day be a study, can be where the baby sleeps. Then when it gets older you can make the switch and turn the current study into a play room and your nursery into a new study.