How to tell if eaves are asbestos?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by neK, 22nd Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. qak

qak Well-Known Member

Being a red-brick house (1960-1980s?) would suggest to me it is more likely to be asbestos than not. As per PP, either get a test kit or get someone in to assess it.

2. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

I wonder whether anyone has suggested this is grossly misleading? And possibly in breach of consumer protection law.

3. hobartchic

I have not found this to be the case. It's usually possible to find the age from council records. Something I would find out prior to purchase.

4. hobartchic

Asbestos is possible in buildings until 2003 in Australia.

5. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Need to look on sheet rear if you can, unless you can see a date, I would assume asbestos.

TBH I would just vent elsewhere, like through roof. Or wall.

Joynz likes this.
  6. dabbler

Yeah, sick your lawyers onto them .......

7. hobartchic

Admittedly not worth it. That's why I'd find out the age of a house with due diligence.

8. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

..........and later. It was being (illegally) imported into AU only a few years ago.

9. hobartchic

I did not know that, though it's not surprising. Do you have a source for that information? I'm not disputing it but it would be interesting to read and not something I have come across.
    I use the figure 2003 because it is supplied by the national asbestos safety strategy.

10. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

11. hobartchic

12. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Google perth hospital asbestos. Only happened a few years ago

13. hobartchic

Thanks, I quickly read the link supplied. I had forgotten about the cases mentioned because they were focussed on commercial and my head space tends to be in residential.

14. dabbler

We have done this dance before, you can do nothing, not in the legal sphere or the real world to know for sure without hard evidence.

If making assumptions, it would be best to assume it is dangerous material. I would do this anyway, I can't imagine a vent through eaves unless it was to allow air flow for the roof space for a particular purpose.

Re not being worth it, it is more like you cannot do anything, again, unless you can prove an agent knew the exact age and purposely misled & then you actually suffered a loss, not an imagined loss. There is time and clauses in contracts so you would hardly have a leg to stand on.

As per that other thread where some people were emotional and being personal, there is no way to know even if a new place has it somewhere, unless you build it yourself and know exactly where all material came from or were used, how can you rule it out ? Obviously there will not be sheets of old fibro on a 2015 build, but it could be elsewhere, in other building materials, products or appliances or various possessions in a house.

It is the handling of or condition of items with asbestos that people need to get the head around, not simply the presence, and unfortunately we all must live like this, but keep in mind there are many other poisons and materials that can cause harm around the home, that is why I feel looking at asbestos with blinkers on is foolish.

PS ironically, this obsession with removal, is causing more exposure, right ? Does anyone stop to think that fear is also a business driver for those in that business ?

neK likes this.
  15. hobartchic

I can see where you are coming from. Normal dust e.g. produced from wood sanding can be a hazard so it pays to use reasonable caution when involved in any construction type activity.

Where there is reasonable fear that the material is asbestos then it pays to be extra careful. The government have some good guides to direct people.

16. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Moving on from eaves, anyone heard of sarking (not the metallic foil) but a paper based cardboard like version contain asbestos?

17. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

haha this reminds me of a Reno we did on a 1986 build. I was ripping out the bathroom wall and picked up a piece of the sheet and was a bit horrified to read 'asbestos' on the back of the sheet.
    Was relieved when I inspected the other half of the sheet i broke!

MikeyBallarat and hobartchic like this.
  18. dabbler

Some soils naturally contain asbestos, can we get the council to lift house, remove all soil, replace with certified topsoil and then re set the house ?

And also to do all front, rear yards, council strips, etc etc etc etc ......

19. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Naturally occurring asbestos FAQs

No. You are landowner, not council. Caveat Emptor. I doubt a suburban area is naturally occurring.
    There is a NSW / ACT scheme for fibre insulation containing asbestos in homes. They buy your house at "market" whatever than may mean, remove the fibre, demo it and sell the clean land. You have option to be buyer of the land.

Loose fill asbestos insulation - NSW Fair Trading

20. BradH

BradH Member

Asbestos sheets will have dimples on one side, if you need to make a penetration or snap some off, just keep it really wet, use a wet rag and then the dust won’t float around in the air