How to sub-divide existing property

Discussion in 'Development' started by Martinez22, 31st May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Martinez22

Martinez22 Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,

Currently reviewing options to develop existing property - either going to retain & build or demolish & build 2/3 strata units on block. This is a first for me so wondering if anyone could help point me in the right direction. Would like to know who to contact initially (ie. surveyor?) and other parties that would be involved in the sub-division process. Is there a thread available regarding the developing process?

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Your two strategies could end up as quite different processes and outcomes. Have you done the napkin numbers to see which is the more viable option? Have you had a look at the zoning and stuff as well?

I suppose either way, a proper survey is the way to start.

Martinez22 likes this.
  3. Martinez22

Martinez22 Well-Known Member

I've been given Feasibility reports that I don't understand, I've been told based on their projections it will be profitable. Would be great to find out how they came to that conclusion :confused:. Dual zoning approved subject to council. After the survey, which is around $10,000 all up..what do I do next other than start construction?

4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

If I were you, I'd hook up with one of the Perth developers on here and talk to them in depth about your plans, feasibility etc and get some much needed help and hand holding. Will most likely save you time, money, frustrations and making unnecessary mistakes, aka wasting more money.

just my opinion.

Martinez22 likes this.
  5. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Agreed - there are lots of helpful Perthites here who might be willing to help. If you PM me the property address, I'm happy to have a quick look at things like the size and zoning for you.

I'm a little concerned because it sounds like you've been talking to a one-stop shop type operation who may or may not be the best type of people to help you with something like this.

Martinez22 likes this.
  6. HD_ACE

HD_ACE Game-Changer

A surveyor would be your first step. Some can hold your hand through the whole subdivision process if thats what your after.

I would want to be confident in the numbers first, before spending money to go further. If you dont under stand the feasibility then ask them for more info to explain it fully otherwise your money is at risk.

If you want further help then reach out to some forum regulars for advice like westy, sanj, aaron, or me etc or else there are some good perth development threads on somersoft and on here to help you understand further.

Cheers.

Martinez22 likes this.
  7. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

Would have thought a town planner would be first port of call, to confirm that what you are intending can be done.

Martinez22 and wylie like this.
  8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Our first port of call when we first thought about developing our block, was a town planner (about ten years ago now). He was able to tell us what could go on our block.

RPI from this forum helped us move forward and told us (city plan had changed) whether we could split into house blocks, or townhouses. I then was able to roughly price up and compare the figures for both scenarios. Townhouses won out.

Once we gathered the courage to move forward, we then found a builder we liked. We had wanted to use RPI but the builder suggested his designer. He said this man designed in a way to minimise wastage, with a view to minimising costs without losing sight of the end product.

That designer worked with a certifier and town planner regularly, so we ended up going with them as they were used to working together. We thought using people who had worked together on several developments was sensible (and we were clueless about whether bringing different people together might slow things down or create issues).

The town planner brought in his own acoustic engineer, garden landscape designer, hydraulic engineer (and a few more people that I can't recall just now without looking in my files).

We still are very much development virgins, and feel like we are crawling through a dark tunnel with blindfolds on, but we are leaning as we go.

TimC, Marg4000, Martinez22 and 2 others like this.