how to structure my loan

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by newbie property, 4th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. newbie property

newbie property Active Member

Having a home loan for my own home, equity is 180K (free to use), wanting to buy the 2nd ppty worth $450K, not sure how to structure my loan now, both pptys are fine to live in, guess there are two ways to do the loan, please help to see which one is better:

1) Taking some equity out to buy the 2nd ppty, using 10% for it, then borrow 90%, ie $405,000 as an investment ppty.

Or

2) Move all the 180K to the 2nd ppty and treat it as my home, leaving the 1st ppty as investment ppty. So will be owing 180K for the investment ppty, and owing 270K for my own home loan….

Is my understanding correct? Which way is the best for facilitating the funds?

Thank you for help!

2. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Do you have the option of living in either one?

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Your understanding is not correct. It is not the security for the loan that determines deductibility, but the use of the borrowed funds

Tax Tip 22: Security for a loan does not determine Deductibility of Interest https://propertychat.com.au/communi...not-determine-deductibility-of-interest.3008/

4. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Whatever the debt is on your current PPOR will not change, you'll be borrowing the entire amount for the IP regardless. So if you move into the IP as a PPOR you'll have a 100% financed PPOR, and your current PPOR will turn into an IP. The debt on this one will remain the same.

So, if your current PPOR debt is currently zero, it will remain zero and all the borrowing for the deposit, costs, and the balance of the loan for property 2 will be attributed to property 2.

5. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

On the surface, you may benefit from a debt recycling strategy either way............

ta
    rolf

6. newbie property

yes, i can live either one....

7. newbie property

Hi Jess,
    thanks for your reply!
    just want to clarify,

My current home is paid off but loan is not closed, hence I’m having 180K to use as equity (can do free redraw), if I transfer all these money to the 2nd ppty (cost $450,000) and treat the 2nd one as my home, leaving the 1st ppty as investment ppty. Does it mean I’ll be having 180K investment loan, and my home loan will become 270K (from $450K - $180K)?

Will Redraw be a problem for tax deductions in this case? any ideas?

Thanks again!

8. Jess Peletier

You'll be best off financially staying where you are.

9. Jess Peletier

No, the whole $180k plus the $270 balance will be for the new house - it's not the security for the loan that matters, it's the purpose that the funds were used for. In this case, they are all used to buy the second property.