How to stop exporting solar energy to the grid?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Tony King, 24th Dec, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tony King

Tony King Member

I just want to get some general idea if it can be done, and if yes, how it can be done.

Recently electricity companies get green light to charge solar owners for exporting power to grid (source). This is the reason behind my question.

My configuration is very simple: some solar panels on the roof top and a SMA inverter.

2. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Can be set up to charge battery first, then dump excess into heating hot water, then run pool pump or fountain.
    Or, it can be set up to stop producing any excess over used

3. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

You could do a few things
    1. add battery to your system so that excess power goes to your battery - though once the battery fills up then it would go to the grid
    2. ensure that as many appliances as possible are run during the day to use the solar power as it's generated. Put your dishwasher, washing machine, pool pump, aircon on delayed start/timers to run during the day
    3. Charge your electric vehicle during the day

I don't think companies will be charging for awhile though so you may have time and hope that battery prices come down as you would need to do a cost benefit analysis of being charged to export to the grid vs the price of a battery

Stoffo likes this.