How to save $100K on a new apartment

Discussion in 'Property Information Resources & Tools' started by Propertunity, 8th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

I've been anticipating this for a while. Some good times on their way for buyers (unfortunately for others where OTP risks have materialized for those who cannot settle).

High-rise Harry warns of China crisis

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The vultures are circling.

datto likes this.
  3. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Read that, but it does not add up, wont really be true 100k discount.

The old bloke is only trying to further feather his own nest. If he gets councils to cut anything it will all be to benefit him.

Air_Bender likes this.
  4. virgo

virgo Well-Known Member

You are not refering it to me are you:)?

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...s/news-story/85bca62df3c98693e1ad6832a9cd9b65

In the last 3 months; i've had:

a) a Korean friend who had paid 680K for a 1 bedder in Macquarie Park who has asked me to buy it off her..she had to sell another property as she could not stump up the next set of instalment...her family has bought 4 in the same complex

b) another friend who is trying to persuade me to buy his 3 bedder Epping (older) apartment...guess he is nervous about his own rents should all the new apartments come up all around him

c) my Chinese friend in kogarah who has regaled me with anecdotal evidence of foreign investors intending to walk away and forfeit their deposits...

So, what should a gal like me do?

EN710 and RetireRich101 like this.
  5. virgo

virgo Well-Known Member

Hmm...you don't think i could buy two 2 bedders brand new in Epping for 500K can i?

(putting this down here to challenge myself ..i will check in in 12 months time, 24 months time ...)

inspiredbyprop, MTR and RetireRich101 like this.
  6. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

That would be awesome.

7. virgo

virgo Well-Known Member

Phew! forgot to mention i just came back from Westfield Hornsby shopping and had to dodge my trolley past 3 pop up stands selling OTP apartments and staffed by young Chinese guys and girls....if interested they are just outside and near Woolies...some signs are in Chinese though so you might not understand?

8. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

I don't shop in hornsby. That's very common. A lot of these pop up stalls appear in shopping centres. Small developmers mostly. Perhaps in another 12 months you might see the impact.

9. dabbler

Take them all up if offers are good.

There is a huge monstrosity being build at Liverpool, each time we pass I look at the floors, it is up to 29 now and still going, prob is, they would have to be 100k in total, not a 100k off to look worthwhile to me :) When I looked at the block when it was starting about a year ago, they had Chinese sales people on the ground there and groups of non English speaking Chinese as a captive audience, I cannot recall them advertising here at all, so potentially 30 floors of towering apartments mainly marketed to Chinese. IIRC there is supposed to be an ajoining tower....

10. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

My mate just saved over 100k apartment in Footscray. Chinese investor failed to get funds and agent offered original prices.

LibGS and Gockie like this.
  11. dabbler

Well, that is good going if a true 100k.

But your saying he paid the same price as the original buyer ? What is a unit worth in that neck of the woods ?

12. virgo

virgo Well-Known Member

i think the ugliest of them all are the ones at the junction of Windsor Road and James Ruse Drive , near North Rocks....wah...view of Windsor Road at all times of the day...

And i am waiting with bated breadth for the rumoured 90 storey new apt building in Paramatta...i will have to bring my binoculars to see the views from above ...

13. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

same old same old in 2003-2004. the slight difference in this cycle is that we also seeing OTP/H&L in Schofields/Marsden park. Previous cycle these were still unzoned rural land..

14. RetireRich101

help me out Jen... I need to upgrade my ppor to 200m2+ apartment in coming years.

15. virgo

virgo Well-Known Member

Hypothetical question:
    Refering to my Korean friend who paid 680K for that 1 bedder in Macquarie. Including strata fees and blah blah blah...even if she can settle, she would need to rent it out for at least what? 800 or 900 per week to break even? For a one bedder? And of course she is targetting uni students...

How long do you think these investors will grin and bear with it? That will indicate our waiting period...

C-mac and Propertunity like this.
  16. virgo

virgo Well-Known Member

Can't help you Ken..i have a few kids to buy apartments for o_O
    Remember i am three to your one:D

17. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I would not ask my friend to buy apartment off me :eek:
    Your Macquarie park friend must have bought recent OTP? There's currently 2 complex fully build, and at least another 3 complex coming

18. RetireRich101

just build a 3 studio room, 60m2 granny flat in your backyard..and lock them up.

Colin Rice and Marg4000 like this.
  19. Air_Bender

Air_Bender Well-Known Member

I agree. Although he didn't specifically advocate letting people dip into their Super to buy property you can tell that's what he was alluding to in the last paragraph.

larrylarry likes this.
  20. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

She was offered to buy it at the original price offered. Not sure on price

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.