How to rescind contract and minimize litigation cost

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by j4mesa, 29th May, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. j4mesa

j4mesa Active Member

Hi all,

I have got a situation of which I would like to seek your thoughts :

Situation :
    - purchase 1 bedroom 1 bath 1 carpark unit in 29 Station St Nundah for 376,000 on Jan 2016
    - deposit paid by Deposit Bond - 10% of purchase price - expire on July 2018 - approx costing 6000 dollars
    - sunset date : 2.5 years from contract date : July 2018
    - contract stipulates that vendor can extend the sunset date
    - vendor requested extension of sunset date and offering to cover the deposit bond if we agreed the sunset date to be extended until April 2020
    - vendor reason for extension request :
    A. " delays pertaining to approval pertains to receipt of satisfaction of a development approval condition (external details) from council (generally in accordance) running from the date of the first contract for a proposed lot in the development on 21 Dec 2015 [in light of financial viability requirements for the development] up to and including when received from Council on 01 Aug 2016 , being 225 days
    B. delays pertaining to contractors being from when our clients was advised on site that the previous selected contractor had ended their partnership on 13 Oct 2017.
    Up to and including when our client received the tender from the new contractor being 64 days. The total being 289 days (225 + 64)

Position :
    - I would no longer wish to purchase the property because I think that property is now overpriced

Questions :

1. What are the risk to me in this case if I rescind the contract ?

2. Vendor's reason point A seems to be a delay of getting approval from council due to not enough financing,
    Am I interpreting the reason correctly ? Also is that a legally defensible cause for requesting an extension to sunset date ?

3. What would you do if you NO longer wish to purchase the property however you would like to minimize any potential risk of litigation ?

Thanking your thoughts in advance

JDM likes this.
  2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Go see an experienced lawyer and get specific advice for my situation.

I have to say though, you seem to think that the vendor can unilaterally extend the sunset clause without your permission. You might want to have a closer look at that clause, because that seems unusual. You might be entitled to say "no thanks" as your get out of jail free card.

j4mesa and Perthguy like this.
  3. qak

qak Well-Known Member

Has this thing actually started construction yet, 4 years later?

4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I don't see how the developer exercising the sunset clause will increase the cost of the deal to you to make it overpriced?

The Y-man

5. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

There is a chance that the sunset date can be extended where specific reasons are met under the contract, but these can't be extended beyond the statutory limit. What does your lawyer say?

Mustafa Salehi, Paul@PAS and Terry_w like this.
  6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I am always surprised by posts that ask for legal advice. And the reply posts say....get advice.

7. j4mesa

j4mesa Active Member

yes, it just started about 1 month ago

8. j4mesa

j4mesa Active Member

what i mean is that the unit that I purchase has gone backwards in the value at this moment

9. j4mesa

j4mesa Active Member

true to that :)

10. j4mesa

j4mesa Active Member

btw, when the vendor mentioned :
    " delays pertaining to approval pertains to receipt of satisfaction of a development approval condition (external details) from council (generally in accordance) running from the date of the first contract for a proposed lot in the development on 21 Dec 2015 [in light of financial viability requirements for the development] up to and including when received from Council on 01 Aug 2016 , being 225 days

Would that mean that the vendor is delaying because there's an issue with their financing ?

11. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

If you are not using a solicitor to do the conveyancing then:

1. post the clause in the contract here relating to "Sunset Date"
    2. I can read the clause and give some thoughts.

12. j4mesa

j4mesa Active Member

Thank you for helping out, I appreciate it.

I did use solicitor however they seems to be just passing on message from vendor rather than being able to give me an advice / options

Attached Files:

13. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Did you get any notices under 7.3?

14. j4mesa

j4mesa Active Member

yes, i did get notices as per below :

- vendor reason for extension request :
    A. " delays pertaining to approval pertains to receipt of satisfaction of a development approval condition (external details) from council (generally in accordance) running from the date of the first contract for a proposed lot in the development on 21 Dec 2015 [in light of financial viability requirements for the development] up to and including when received from Council on 01 Aug 2016 , being 225 days

B. delays pertaining to contractors being from when our clients was advised on site that the previous selected contractor had ended their partnership on 13 Oct 2017.
    Up to and including when our client received the tender from the new contractor being 64 days. The total being 289 days (225 + 64)

15. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

isnt that the standard lawyers reply?

16. The Y-man

So really you are just seeing this as a possible opportunity to get out of a (potentially) bad buy?

The Y-man

17. JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

There is an argument that a statutory sunset date cannot be extended as of right under the contract and I recently presented a Legalwise seminar to lawyers on this exact topic.

Feel free to email me through the contract and correspondence regarding the extension and I would be happy to have a quick look without charge.

Terry_w and Propagate like this.
  18. JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

That's exactly one of the ways a sunset date can be used. Nothing wrong with that. The developer should deliver the project within the contractual period.

19. The Y-man

Agree nothing wrong with it.
    I wonder if there are other ways to exit out than just the delay.

The Y-man

20. The Y-man

I understand it is a case of losing your deposit, your 6k bond cost, and reselling costs (readvertising etc). If the building has started, it's probably a good sign that they have sold the minimum units required.

Obviously if you can find another buyer to take it off your hands, it may be a much smoother process.

The Y-man

j4mesa likes this.