How to repair my "sky lights"?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by spludgey, 24th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

During a hail storm, I've had holes punched into seven flat polycarbonate sheets that are being used as sky lights in a queensland room in one of my IPs.
    The polycarbonate sheets are 5m long and 100mm wide.

The excess on my insurance is too high to bother with (probably), even though I got a quote for over $2400 to fix it! :eek:

I don't know if the corrugated iron roof spacing lines up perfectly, otherwise I'd just get 6 2.6m corrugated poly sheets, cut them into thirds and put them on top of the roof.
    I haven't been there yet, so I'm going from memory and from what my dad has told me (he lives down the road).

Edit: Now with picture of the roof.
    upload_2015-11-25_8-12-6.png

Last edited: 25th Nov, 2015
  2. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

$2400 sounds a bit expensive. If they are the same profile they should just slide right in. I wouldn't make a join in the sheet though as it allows for leaks further down the track as opposed to a single length sheet.

Where is the job location?

3. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

Suntuf Trimdeck 5.4m Clear Polycarbonate Roofing Sheet

Not sure what the profile is but 7 sheets will cost around $800 and a box of screws around $50
    Removal and dispose $400, install new sheets and screw them off $300. Total of $1550. That's $850 cheaper than your quote. Mind you that is without looking at the job and it's just an estimate on everything.

4. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

How much is it?
    If comparable to what its gunna cost you for material (incl screws, sealer etc if required) + your time it maybe worth letting someone who knows what they're doing, with insurance/warranty etc, do it.

wylie likes this.
  5. spludgey

Central Coast NSW.
    Cheers, yes I was thinking getting 2.6m as they're easier to obtain and transport. As these sheets are only 870mm wide, however the required width is only 100mm, I would cut them length wise into multiple sections.
    As for the disposal, as I said it's only a total of 5m x 0.7m x 0.002m or 7 litres of plastic. So if I break them into sections, I can just put them in the bin.
    So if I was to do it myself, I should be able to do it below the $500 mark.

I'd have to check, but from memory it's $1200. But even then, I'm not entirely sure whether it's even covered.

Brian84 likes this.
  6. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

7. spludgey

Oops, I forgot to attach the picture yesterday. It makes it a little bit easier to understand.

upload_2015-11-25_8-10-39.png

8. spludgey

I think the polycarbonate just became weathered by the UV. I've owned the house for five years and this part of it looked by no means new when I bought it, so if it lasts 15 years, that's fine by me.

9. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I missed the overhead roof layout,so skylights would be too costly once you re sheet the roof and reflash the tie in area's ,good luck..

10. spludgey

Thanks mate.
    I've put it on Airtasker for the time being. If I get no bites, I guess I'll have plans for Saturday now!

11. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Storm damage, should be covered

12. Benjy

Benjy Active Member

Sorry bit late to this thread so you've probably already fixed this. Anyway my 2c worth: I really think that laser light stuff is rubbish, thousands of metres of it get chucked out every time there's a hail storm in Brisbane.

In my opinion the best long term solution would be to replace the entire roof with solar span or similar sandwich panel type product. Its brilliant white underneath and reflects heaps of light, I doubt it would be any darker underneath than it is now. You're probably looking at $15k to do that area but it will last for ever. You can walk all over it too and you won't get sunburnt sitting under it.

I sound like I sell the stuff I know, that's not the case but we did put up a 40sq.m roof at our old place and it was fantastic. Wasn't hard to diy install either.