How to reduce CGT bill when selling a high equity IP

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by skyfall, 27th Sep, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. skyfall

skyfall Well-Known Member

So ppor can't be claimed as my main residence and be exempt from cgt if it's rented out during that 6 year period after I vacate?

I thought this covers it:

Where you have previously lived in the property it may be possible to still claim the property as your main residence, even though you may have been absent and renting it out and keep it CGT free. This will be done by using the 6 year rule (s118-145). See my tax tip: Tax Tip 23: The 6 year Absent from Main Residence Rule

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

it could be fully exempt, but it depends on a lot of other factors which may mean it is not fully exempt.

3. Prashant Pare

Prashant Pare Member

Hi,
    I was discussing the 6 year rule with my Accountant. According to him, "if a PPOR is rented out, there is no 6 years limit (as long as you havent declared any other PPOR) .. you can rent it for as long as you want ( i.e. more than 6 yrs as well), treating it as a PPOR and sell it without CG. The 6 year rule applies in specific scenarios like moving outside the state/country"
    Not sure this matches what I have understood from this forum. Can someone clarify please.

4. Terry_w

it is obvious that she hasn't read the legislation.

Travelbug and craigc like this.
  5. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Ask your accountant for the reference to the legislation or case law that supports their opinion.

6. Terry_w

Here is the legislation:

upload_2021-10-5_17-35-59.png

craigc and Tyla like this.
  7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd be looking for a new accountant.

Tyla likes this.
  8. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member

not accurate

9. skater

skater Well-Known Member

You need a new accountant.

Tyla likes this.
  10. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

They need to be reported to the Tax Practitioners Board for incompetence. What a numpty.

If a property is rented aftre being occupied by the owner as their home then the 6 year absence rule applies to ALL property if the taxpayer elects to use it and is able to. The absence rule contains NO time limit if the property does not produce income. The absence rule doesnt apply in "specific cicumstances" at all. Its very broad. The test condition is that the property was your main residence and the owner/s are "absent". Of course your dopey accountant may not have mentioned how s118.192 also may impact matters in some cases.

However other factors could impact. Is this a new construction you built under a profit making activity ?

Yes....

11. devank

devank Well-Known Member

How is this strategy to spread your gains across multiple years?
    Let's say you need to pay tax for $100k.

Buy two opposite shares such as GEAR and BBOZ each $200K worth.
    Wait for one to go down to $100k and sell both the property and the stock which had the loss. The other stock would have increased to $300k.
    Then start selling the stock which made profit in following financial years.
    Your CG is spread across multiple years which may enable your marginal tax rate to be lower.

gman65 and Heinz57 like this.
  12. Terry_w

If one share goes down then you could sell and the capital loss could offset the capital gain.

Do those shares behave opposite to each other?

gman65 likes this.
  13. devank

devank Well-Known Member

BBOZ goes up when the market goes down, I believe by 3 times.
    So 3x ASX200 and BBOZ can be opposite stocks.

Similarly, one could buy all top 10 or 20 stocks. Sell the ones gone down in value to offset the property's capital gain. Keep the profit-making stocks and sell them in later FYs.

gman65 likes this.
  14. Terry_w

That is interesting. It could certainly allow for some strategies.

gman65 and devank like this.
  15. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

Seems like it won't be difficult for OP to claim the 6 year absence rule and increase the cost base by doing so, aka reduce CGT bill

@skyfall another strategy is to gamble on the ASX with speccy shares like some miners and biopharmaceuticals. Check the most active threads at HotCopper and the 10 bagger thread for some ideas. If the shares turn out to be duds then sell them for a loss before selling your IP to offset any gains. If they turn out to be winners then you pay CGT when you sell them. Paying tax means you're making a profit

skyfall likes this.
  16. Paul@PAS

Not quite. Its is 2 x leveraged. However its certainly not a natural "mirror". If ASX rises you can magnify losses too.

17. skyfall

Thank you, good to know I can claim the 6 year absence but I still have a big CGT bill #FWP

18. Paul@PAS

CGT wont normally be more than 25% of the profit. And CGT is almost always optional.... You can easily avoid it by never selling.

19. skyfall

Yes never selling will avoid CGT but sometimes it's the best strategy if you can't refinance. Plus we will all be dead within 50-100 years so there comes a point when you should cash out to enjoy life. No point being the richest guy in the cemetery. It's called delayed gratification because it's delayed, it's not put off forever.

20. Paul@PAS

Perhaps. You could die and leave a IP tax free to beneficiaries if you know how. Its possible to own a ip for decades and move in, then die and the tax issue is gone