How to overcome Fear

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by MTR, 16th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Nothing false about those expectations :D

2. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

To say that those suffering from depression are "not looking for the benefits and positives" is a rather ignorant conclusion.

Anti-depressants are in fact an "internal solution" that go way beyond a simple change of "mindset" and are certainly not a way of "covering up" our problems. They balance out the chemicals in the human brain that are responsible for our moods and behaviour. Something that a simple change in mindset cannot do.

Mental health conditions cause irrational behaviour and thought processes so it's not possible for those suffering to simply work on their mindset with the hopes that everything will be fine.

I agree that working on a positive mindset is a must, but a little thing called Science is required in a lot of circumstances for those that need extra help.

BigKahuna, Azazel, hobo and 1 other person like this.
  3. Kate Moloney

Kate Moloney Well-Known Member

I've been depressed myself, so I am speaking from experience. Once I saw the blessings in my situation I was able to be more at peace with life. It is possible to over come your own thought processes, it takes daily work and having the right tools ... most importantly the choice to want to change.

This is no judgement on those that choose the anti depressant path, its just not for me, I've seen a number of investors take them to deal with their stress and I don't believe its empowering people.

Maybe for some people it is a genuine chemical imbalance, but to say as a blanket rule that depressed (sad) people have a chemical imbalance is like saying you can't be human. To have emotions is to be human. Feeling is healing. There will be challenges throughout your life, for the rest of your life, which is why if you change your perception you will change your life.

Positive thinking is actually negative. Presence is a more empowering state. If you chase only positive thinking then you'll erode your ability to see truth ... and then you end up making some really dumb life choices (I speak for myself here)

Not everyone will agree, and thats ok, this is my truth and your entitled to yours. :)

Blueskies, Hanison, BigKahuna and 2 others like this.
  4. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

Depression is very different to sadness or stress.

Sackie, hobo, Hanison and 4 others like this.
  5. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

And not something those suffering from can just snap out of.
    There's a difference between being depressed and having depression.

hobo, Hanison, Sackie and 2 others like this.
  6. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

It's definitely not a matter of just deciding not to be depressed.

Regarding science, many studies have now been completed showing that even a single clinical use of a psychedelic (under controlled conditions) has the potential to permanently "cure" depression in many sufferers.

Unfortunately, closed minds and preconceptions have inhibited progress enormously but major ground has been made recently with organisations like MAPS making huge ground: Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies

Hanison and LifesGood like this.
  7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I am actually growing it now:p.

8. bobbyj

bobbyj Well-Known Member

Well, some can be brave and face fear. Some, are just clueless.

Attached Files:

MTR likes this.
  9. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Ouchie wah wah!

10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

That's not brave, that's just dumb

Azazel and Sackie like this.
  11. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

True, drunk pommie backpackers aren't brave.

12. Hanison

Hanison Well-Known Member

@Kate Moloney

Careful what you say about depression and anxiety med's in open forum.

1 in 10 aussies are on them.

Else fear the backlash.

LifesGood likes this.
  13. Luke T

Luke T Well-Known Member

LOL love it !

datto likes this.
  14. Nick Valsamis

Nick Valsamis Well-Known Member

Maybe this video will be useful.

15. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

A lot of them are self medicating as well.
    Not good for them.

16. Kate Moloney

Why fear back lash? No matter what you do or say, 50% of people won't like you.

17. Kate Moloney

Feeling Depressed? Demartini It!

Feeling Depressed? Demartini It!

Whenever you have a fantasy about how you think your life should be instead of being grateful for how it is, you split yourself in two. The fantasy appears to be more positive than negative and as a result you compare your reality to it. You then become sad and depressed whenever you perceive that your life doesn't match the unrealistic ideal in your mind.

To dissolve feelings of depression, follow these action steps to Demartini It:

1. STEP ONE:

Identify what specifically you are depressed about, in other words what do you think your life should be? Or what do you think you should have or experience that would make your life somehow better? E.g. You may wish you had more money, a relationship, a better body or lifestyle - whatever it is, write it down on a piece of paper.

2. STEP TWO:

Imagine for a moment that your life is actually the way you think it should be. Now ask yourself, if it was that way, what would be the drawbacks? You will need to find between 20 and 50 drawbacks to this fantasy that you are comparing your life to.

Look in all areas of your life for the drawbacks. How would it be a drawback to your: family, social life/influence, career, financial, spiritual, health etc

3. STEP THREE:

Now ask yourself what are the benefits to you of the way your life is right now, as it is. Again you will need 20 to 50 benefits. Repeat Step Two and Three until you feel a click and your heart opens with gratitude as you realize the perfection of your life the way it is! When you bring down the fantasy with the drawbacks and you bring up your reality with the benefits you bring your mind into balance and you dissolve your feelings of depression and replace them with a deep appreciation and gratitude for life as it is.

18. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Sorry but Dr Demartini is an idiot

hobo likes this.
  19. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

They were the first person to get a Doctorate in idiot.

DaveM likes this.