How to organize own handyman for repairs via PM?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Annaelsa, 25th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Annaelsa

Annaelsa Active Member

PM got quote from their builder, says 2 wooden window frames need to replace which is costly and other Windows also need to repaint and repair but not yet give the figure yet.

PM has own trade department. They said their quote is much cheaper than outside to help investor save cost with good standard and quality work.

They only quote me for rebuild and remove wooden handrail about $600ish. Wooden handrail is rotten. I don't want to rebuild.. I just want to repair for tenant safety and prevent termite.

I sent photos to other handyman, 2 people.
    They recommend repair if I don't want to replace as it's expensive.

The work they do is removing all rotted timber and bogging holes, put new window beads and sealing.

They charge $35-40 per hours. Work carry out estimate about 3-4 hrs and 2 hrs repainting but need to have a look to confirm the quote. I estimate budget around $200 per window.

How to organize to have my own trade to enter the property to quote and also repair without breaching tenancy law? Is there maximum number of entry for quote and repair to treat as unreasonable, disturbing tenant living like that.

How to negotiate with tenant or just let PM inform them? Can I legally call or email tenant directly or have to via PM all the time?

Tenant requested to have fly screens install and I'm going to install later but need to fix rotten Windows first. Then will need more access to property again for both quote and installation.

What plan below is appropriate under this circumstance in your opinion?

Tell PM, I will get my own handyman to quote and repair then

1. ask PM for tenant's phone number and email, pass on to handyman to arrange time to come in. I think I will get 2 people to come in for quote. Ask tenant to take photo of complete jobs to send to me directly so I know it's been done.

Or

2. Give handyman PM's phone number to arrange time with tenant to provide access.
    Is it PM standard job to check if it's been done even though repair organize myself?

Last question, after repair done.
    Is it appropriate to ask tenant to take photo of the complete jobs and send email to me directly so I can make payment to handyman.

PM agreement written 10% of cost of improvement but above items have been waived for now as I purchase under the same agent.

Am I asking too much if I organize my own trade and ask them to have a look to confirm the jobs have been done or it's the part of their routine?

Last edited: 25th Apr, 2017
  2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

This what I do - for example for electrical work:

PM tells me about the need for maintenance.
    I ask PM to get a quote for the work. If I want a comparison quote I ask the PM to get more than one quote. (I may also ask the PM to ask my own electrician to quote at this stage, too).

I consider the PM's quotes. If not happy, I ask the PM to organise a quote with my electrician (if I didn't already ask) - I provide his number/ email to the PM for this.

I then select the tradie I wish to use and tell my PM - and then leave it in the PM's hands.

Using your 'own' tradie doesn't mean you have to organise any of the work - that's the PM's job.

bob shovel, Annaelsa and kierank like this.
  3. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Sometimes, I use tradies organised by PM, other times, I co-ordinate the tradies myself.

When I organise the tradie, I send an email to the PM and tradie advising the scope of work, start date, likely end date, request any actions required by tenants, etc.

It is then up to the PM to communicate with the tenants and the tradie to co-ordinate via the PM for keys, etc.

If I want photos, I ask the tradie to send them. In most cases, for my tradies, I trust them and I don't request photos. In some cases, they send them as part of their process.

Perthguy and Annaelsa like this.
  4. Annaelsa

Annaelsa Active Member

Thank you, Joynz.

When PM agreement written 10% of cost of improvement, do you think in the future they will charge me 10% of the cost?

Says, interior paint I choose $4k, PM charge 10% is already $400.

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Do you have a dog? Do you bark for it as well?

Can you get the handyman to provide a fixed quote? They may say it is only a couple of hours but it may run out to 6-8 hours by the time they go to Bunnings to buy the timber, return to the site, realised there are other issues like the bannister is rotten as well costing you well in excess of the original quoted amount (or estimate if it is only rates).

The PM's rate seems a bit excessive IMHO - 10% is more than the builder's margin and he's actually doing the work. Does the PM charge this on top of their own tradies as well?

Annaelsa likes this.
  6. Annaelsa

Annaelsa Active Member

Thanks, kierank
    I found both 2 from Google and hipage.
    I don't know them so this would be my first time with them. One from hipage a bit more expensive but trade licence is verified by hipage. The another is from his own website but no license no. listed

7. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I don't understand what you mean by this.

Do you mean the PM is charging you 10% to organise repairs?

In Vic, this is included in the monthly PM fee.

8. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

You tell the PM to use the person you want, they organise with tenant etc still, they can still pay as well, do not ask the tenant to take photos, ask the person doing the work to take photos of job and send to you and/or PM.

Keep in mind you should check that this person has all the insurances and lic etc as required.

kierank, Annaelsa and Joynz like this.
  9. Annaelsa

Annaelsa Active Member

Hi Scott,
    I haven't asked them yet. I just bought this house last month.
    When I saw 10% of improvement cost in the agreement few days before settlement so I don't have time to look and compare another PM I also need someone to do tenant file transfer from previous owner, I question PM then she waived that items for me.

10. Annaelsa

Annaelsa Active Member

I'm not sure if I confuse you all as I also confuse myself :D repair maintenance or improvement, refurbished

Property is 3 bed house in NSW, regional area.

It's in exclusive management agency agreement under service fees, charges and expenses like this.

Arrangements of repairs and maintenance = include in management fee.

Arrangements of refurbishment or improvements = 11% of invoice over $2,500

processing insurance claims, including valuation for insurance purposes = 11% of all claim.

Disaster / emergency management fee = 11%

Other - Tenant file discharge fee = $250
    Other - should the tenant purchase the property our agent will be entitled to 3.3% of sale price inclusive of GST

Whereas another property, 2 bed unit in Sydney doesn't have the above written items in exclusive management agency agreement.

I'm not sure they included above fees just because it's rundown house or it's common for regional area to charge higher and more, management fee 8.8% plus above fees or I should looking for new PM?

rental is just $230 per week.

11. Annaelsa

Annaelsa Active Member

Hi dabbler, how do I check them? Any reliable websites to check licence?
    For insurance, we just only ask him or we can check ourselves if so how to do it?

12. dabbler

Handyman is no lic, but they may operate under a business name, you can look that up, public liability insurance is just asking if they are insured and getting a copy if your concerned.

Often if people are doing really cheap jobs, they have no business, no insurance, won't provide proper invoice etc

13. dabbler

Where is this "regional"

If along the coast, that seems way too much.

If remote, well there is still things I would cross out or ask them about.

I find a lot of PMs try and grab what they can & often they are the sloppy ones, no prob paying high fees if they are excellent PM and keeping same staff etc

Your not doing a reno through them ? or 2500+ of improvements ?

I would still talk to them about this, I had to do an AC that was really an improvement, old one could not be repaired, it was over 2500 - I would not be allowing them to add any fees, I see they are trying to cover themselves, but that wording is sloppy.

Insurance they should be covering in that sort of fee, again, sloppy wording.

My thinking is a PM can't just work the fees so they have to do bugger all & never have to deal with unexpected problem/s, for instance, what next ? $40 an hour to deal with troublesome tenant ? (every tenant would be troublesome for them probably)

If they have no tenant for you just yet, I would look at other options if they won't work this out with you.

14. Annaelsa

Annaelsa Active Member

It's already tenant in the property before I bought then I took over and appointed new PM. So basically tenant was transferred from previous owner's PM.

15. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Hello Anna Elsa,
    congratulation for buying this property.
    1. Will you get more rent money for doing this $work?
    2.Is it safe as it is?
    I hope this helps

Annaelsa likes this.
  16. Annaelsa

Annaelsa Active Member

Hi SeafordSunshine,

The rent will be the same anyway.
    Just I'm worried the damages would extended to other areas and cause me more later if I leave it.

I'm not experience with house maintenance or repairs. Kind of worries.

Not sure what to do to save cost or other cheaper alternative way to deal with damage, replace or repair

Any idea and suggestion are welcome and appreciated

17. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Just I'm worried the damages would extended to other areas and cause me more later if I leave it.
    I'm not experience with house maintenance or repairs.

HI Anna Elsa,
    I suggest you go through the house with an honest builder, and your property manager.
    The property manager should be able to advise you about a Maintainance schedule.
    Your accountant should be able to advise you about depreciating schedule.
    Using this information, your builder will prepare a quote, in order of importance and then you can make a budget...
    eg.
    .year one: gutters and downpipes repairs $1000
    year 2 :roof repairs $2000
    year 3 fences and gates repairs. $1000
    Make it manageable to your own budget and investment plan.
    Find out what houses near yours are getting more money for rent, and have lower vacancy rates and go from there!
    Dont forget to plan for your holiday, study expenses a rainy day and family life!
    All the best! let us know about your journey!

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia