How to negotiate with an agent to lease a commercial property when it is advertised for selling?

Discussion in 'Commercial Property' started by max58, 20th Sep, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. max58

max58 Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

I saw a property that I like to rent, I called agent and he said its not for lease and my contract is for sell.
    My nature of my business is in a way that I need/ can operate from that property for 2X6(month) only, maybe a bit more.
    There are other vacant properties in the area and this one has been in the market for the last 3 month as far as I know, so owner might potentially agree to lease for short term too while they are looking for a buyer.

I am wondering how I can convince real estate agent to discuss my case with owner.

thank you

2. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

Couldnt you ask for a contract, and get the owners name of the contract and discuss it directly with the owner.

Beano likes this.
  3. max58

max58 Well-Known Member

Thank you for your reply,
    Just to clarify, when I call agent I say ‘I am planning to buy, Could you email me the contract terms and conditions?’
    In that case I will receive contract which owner’s name is included.
    Or I should say it differently?

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

You will probably find XYZ Pty Ltd c/- Liare & Deshonk lawyers is listed as the owner if you were to be given a copy. And XYZ Pty Ltd is a trustee with a reg office at CCC Accounting's offices. Agent has been engaged to sell - why would they want to complicate a sale ? And then will want a % fee on the lease too.

There is an abundance of commercial space available at present and focussing on vacant available property may be more productive. Especially one with a motivated owner ! That listing agent may have other suitable property on the books and when you upset them you wont get any support or recommendations if they think you are a PITA.

Cousinit likes this.
  5. max58

max58 Well-Known Member

Thank you for your advice :)

6. Cousinit

Cousinit Well-Known Member

Probably a great time to be hunting around commercial space for a motivated vendor then with everything that's going on in the world?
    More so if you have a leasee organised or you can occupy your own business I imagine?

7. max58

max58 Well-Known Member

thank you :)

8. Jmillar

Jmillar Well-Known Member

Why would the agent put you in touch directly with the owner? It's their job to negotiate on behalf of the owner and that's how they earn a living.

Just ask them to approach the owner with your proposal to lease short term. Having you as a short term tenant will provide the Vendor with income while they search for a buyer, and may allow them to sell the property as a going concern (ie no GST payable by Purchaser, which makes it more attractive and easier to fund).

Just put in an offer in writing - the agent is legally required to pass on any written offer to their client.

9. max58

max58 Well-Known Member

Thank you, great suggestion!