How to negotiate for selling?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by ATANG, 7th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

Any tips on negotiating for selling with an agent? What's market rate and costs?

2. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

Focus on who you think will achieve the best result, not just the "cheapest". Make them prove how they can achieve a selling price that is worth more than their fee.

If not, there is also the option of private sale.

3. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

What state?

4. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

SA

5. Perthguy

My parents just sold a house near Mt Barker. I will find out if the agent was flexible on commission. I agree with @LifesGood though. Don't go for the cheapest. You want a good operator. Check local sales and see who is getting good sales results. Then go talk to them if you can. I picked mine over the phone. It didn't end well.

6. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Find an agent you think you may work with. Then contact them pretending to be interested in purchasing one of their listings (without revealing who you are). See how they treat the potential buyer, what their follow up is like, what their manner is like. How hard do they work for the seller.

Test them out a bit

Blacky

Perthguy likes this.
  7. Darren McCoy

Darren McCoy Member

Sorry Blacky, I disagree - there's no need to pretend anything - If you want an authentic sale, then be authentic. Just be up front - every agent knows you are shopping around @Blacky

@ATANG - consider the real estate agents communication and negotiation technique as a priority. (of course past performance is a contributing factor) see this thread

8. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

This. A bit of blind shopping goes a long way. Starting with how they qualify you in the start, through to buyer follow up. Put them to the test to see how they handle objections to price etc.

9. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

It can be a simple phone or email inquiry about the property. No need to waste their time with an inspection etc. I am amazed how many agents do not respond to emails or messages when I am looking. There is no way I would ever use them to sell a property.

Laurieload, Colin Rice and Big Will like this.
  10. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

Seen this one happen all to often

11. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Makes for less competition.

The amount of times I hear this from clients who have dealt previosly with another broker or direct with bank is astounding.

No excuse these days not to respond within a few hours. Anything else says "my time is more important than yours and I dont realy care for you or your needs and wants".

Mick Butterfield likes this.
  12. Perthguy

I tried the authentic approach. It resulted in being conned. I should have called the agent as a buyer to see how he treated me. The authentic approach only works with authentic people.

Colin Rice likes this.
  13. Joshwaaaa

Joshwaaaa Well-Known Member

I did as above, also went to an open of an agent we liked before they know we are looking to sell to see how well they run it all, engaging with people through, follow up calls etc etc.

14. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

The problem with pretending to be a buyer is that many of the long term local agents know me from when my mother used to be a local agent. But I also know who I wouldn't touch with a barge pole so I guess the downside has an upside too.

Colin Rice likes this.