QLD How to minimize vacancy when tenants moving

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Samj, 21st Aug, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Samj

Samj Well-Known Member

Current tenant keeps the house very messy. Some of the area of the house even not accessible because of storages. They are leaving in a few weeks time.

Current PM suggest not the advertise before they leave. Point is house is not good enough to show anyone. Actually house is not bad, new floor covering , new blinds, and renovated kitchen etc. But current tenant keeps in absolute mess.

If I wait until they leave before advertising, house will be vacant for 3-4 week. Other option is advertising online but do not organise inspection or show only for really keen people. Hope there is a chance to find someone What would you do for this type of scenarios? Thanks

2. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

U want a good tenant not a fast one.

There should be a few to choose from in current market. Slow and steady wins!!

Samj likes this.
  3. Ronen

Ronen Well-Known Member

I'd be very surprised if that's the case anymore.
    If the current tenant is a mess, expect the house to look apart.

"New" covering, "new" blinds, "renovated" kitchen - all may be needing replacement of fixing.

I wouldn't do anything until they leave and you (or your PM) can come, clean and make it look good for new tenants.
    Otherwise you'll get the type of tenants you don't want.

4. momentum26

momentum26 Well-Known Member

I think you also need a good PM.

If the tenant is messy was this not picked during routine inspection and what was done about it by the PM earlier when they had an opportunity.

5. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

I would wait till the house is fully cleaned before showing anyone, but advertise a few days beforehand so people are scheduled to view as soon as its ready.

Depending on the market, I had 2 in Sydney this week that needed to wait till they were vacant to show, both are now rented - one with 3 days vacancy and one with 6 days.

Samj, Michael Mitchell and wylie like this.
  6. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

“Messy” is subjective - there is “clean” mess as in clothes and stuff everywhere (think of a teenager’s bedroom!), as opposed to “dirty” mess as in rotting food, animal droppings etc.

As long as the property is not being damaged, there is nothing the landlord can do about it during the tenancy.

Michael Mitchell and wylie like this.
  7. Samj

Samj Well-Known Member

Thanks, makes sense.

Other concern is probably this tenant is not going to clean the property and there will be some damages to fix. When I asked about this from PM, I was told we have to give them a chance to fix any remaining items before we go ahead and fix. Is there any maximum period we should allow them to come and fix any remaining issues?

8. Samj

Samj Well-Known Member

I bought the house with this tenant, unfortunately.

9. momentum26

momentum26 Well-Known Member

Fair point that you bought it with it being tenanted, but my question would still remain what did the PM do about the current tenant keeping the property messy.
    Was the current tenant placed by the same agency? If yes, are they vetting application in detail?

If they weren’t able to do much then, how could they assure you they’ll be in control if the next tenant is not taking due care about your investment once you’ve spent money to do the cleanup.