How to make an offer on an overpriced property

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by MissSwiss, 18th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. MissSwiss

MissSwiss Active Member

Hi all,

I'm currently wanting to make an offer on a property. After a lot of research I have concluded that this property has been well over-priced compared to all statistics and other similar houses in the same suburb. Basically it is a 2 bed/1 bath/2 garage, very old, band aid jobs on all of the repairs, needs all external staircases & hand rails replaced, gutters all need replacing, sections of the roof need replacing, some of the timber stumps need replacing, paint jobs are unfinished, makeshift "3rd bedroom" put together with bits and pieces of building material basically, kitchen and bathroom filthy and old junk basically.

I'm confused because this property is listed at $50k more than the sold prices of other 2 bed/1 bath/2 garage houses that have clearly had recent full renovations. And there hasn't been any real growth in the area over that time, and the supply/demand in the area is 50/50 basically.

So, am I wasting my time offering $50k under the asking price? Is there something I could be missing here?

TIA

2. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

why this property? what's the plan to make money out of this? is this for investment or just residence? knowing the suburb will help.

3. MissSwiss

MissSwiss Active Member

Husband is a carpenter so we plan to renovate and flip :)

4. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

If you've decided what it's worth, tell the agent what your offer is and that's what you believe the value to be.

They'll reject the offer.

That's fine, tell them it's still on the table if they decide to be more realistic about their expectations.

Is the agent eventually comes back and accepts the offer, you were right all along. If they sell it to someone else for more, you were wrong.

markson, teg499, wylie and 2 others like this.
  5. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

+1

6. MissSwiss

MissSwiss Active Member

You are right Peter. They will reject it, I'm sure. And I suppose if they sell ti to someone else for more, then I don't want it for that price anyway.

7. Nick Valsamis

Nick Valsamis Well-Known Member

Also, if they come back to you at a later stage you may have some leverage to counter with a lower offer.

teg499 and MissSwiss like this.
  8. larrylarry

Good. Put your offer now. If rejected, then you can move on to the next one.

JesseT likes this.
  9. MissSwiss

MissSwiss Active Member

Ah thanks for the reassurance:) I don't know why I worry about having offers rejected! I shouldn't!

Gockie likes this.
  10. larrylarry

I recently made an offer on a property and it was rejected. I then withdrew my offer. Agent came back to my original offer because even when its lower, i had better terms..asked me to put my original offer back. I didn't respond further and found something else better. Thanks to the advice given by an experienced investor.

11. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

You won't know unless you try, if it's listed that much over market value it might scare other buyers away.
    The agent might come back to you and if he/she doesn't then nothing other than an over priced house is lost.

MissSwiss likes this.
  12. Agent99

Agent99 Well-Known Member

are you sure you will turn a profit for the flip if there is so much thats needs doing ?
    It doesnt matter that there is a tradie in the family, it is still time and effort and should be priced into your reno feaso, have you included stamp duty and selling costs ?

larrylarry likes this.
  13. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Some owners get talked into selling places, and agents have them thinking all these lofty prices, they rely on people to turn up but do nothing, then they work on owner to bring them down.

Offer what you feel is what it is worth.

larrylarry and MissSwiss like this.
  14. MissSwiss

MissSwiss Active Member

Sorry, I wasn't very clear on out intentions. We plan to basically do enough work to make it SAFE and liveable, then rent it for an indeterminate period of time. Should we see some growth, we would then restore the property to it's original glory :p This could be 5 years, could be 15 years.

15. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

If you're not having offers rejected you're not making enough, or offering way too much ;)

MissSwiss likes this.
  16. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I used to be worried about asking pretty girls out on dates. :(

Then I realised that the worst thing that could happen was they'd say no. :oops:

That terrified me. :confused:

So glad to be married... :D

Sackie, wylie, HUGH72 and 1 other person like this.
  17. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

After a while you get used to the rejections. It's a numbers game.

MissSwiss likes this.
  18. MissSwiss

MissSwiss Active Member

Yes, you are right. I need to remember it's just business, it's not personal.

Barny likes this.
  19. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

I was referring to chicks.

Foxdan likes this.
  20. MissSwiss

MissSwiss Active Member

Then I'm glad I'm married and not interested in chicks :p