Business Technology How to make an app

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by bob shovel, 1st Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

What about a simple app that is a very good idea but not ingenious

Seems like the stories you hear of app developer becomjng squillonaires overnight seem to be quite simple app.

Ok lets take that fruit game. How conplex is that one?

Swipe game. Submit online scores. Different modes and levels.

Doesnt seem overly complex or simple either way..

2. DanW

DanW Well-Known Member

Don't let the simple interface fool you into thinking apps are also simple to make.

Sure you can make one that has basically Web page like functionality fairly quick.

But if you want anything happening behind the scenes expect alot more.

Uber looks very simple from the interface, but the implementation is incredibly complex

aussieB and charttv like this.
  3. oracle

oracle Well-Known Member

I am an IT person and make apps as a side business (both iOS and Android).

Let me assure you gone are the days of simple apps. With each new version of the Android/iOS release they introduce new functionality which clients start to expect as standard feature of Apps but for the developer it takes more learning and coding effort. Sometimes even existing apps break and require constant updating to make it compatible with new OS.

There is just so much happening in the App world that to build anything good requires lot of learning and time so prices are in a way justified. Obviously $100K is a lot IMHO. But some of these companies have overheads and salaries to pay. As a fulltime App developer you can expect to get paid $80K-$120K on average.

For freelancers like myself you can expect to pay anywhere around $5k-$25K depending on complexity/functionality required.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
    Oracle.

aussieB, DanW and charttv like this.
  4. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

I have been looking into apps for a while. The crew at appiwork are long term developers - look at their past clients to get an indication of creditentals. I would also look at their 'hiring now' section to get an idea of the type of business they run - great people.

5. Graeme

Graeme Well-Known Member

App development is something I know a bit about...

The amount of effort to build one is a "how long is a piece of string" sort of question. I'm developing one for a client that'll probably be two to three developer months, but have been involved on teams that have had four programmers, a designer, project management and QA, and taken six months.

That's just for Android, there'll be duplication for iOS. So it gets very expensive.

I'm not convinced that many apps make money. The ones that I've been involved with have tended to be ways of delivering a paid service to their users.

The real success stories tend to be apps that are acquired for a ludicrous valuation. These tend to focus on building a user base rather than revenue stream, and depend on venture capital to scale.

aussieB and Perthguy like this.
  6. Graeme

Graeme Well-Known Member

Also note that there are a lot of companies like Appiwork or Appster who'll build you an app. I think that there's money on the consultancy / contracting side of the equation than on generating a revenue stream from your programs.

aussieB and charttv like this.
  7. Ichigo

Ichigo Well-Known Member

Heya @bob shovel @Fitzy1903 , I build the Bankwest iOS app and I'm happy to assist you guys...come to the next Perth meetup and we'll chat about it :)

Fitzy1903 likes this.
  8. charttv

charttv Well-Known Member

bingo, much like the wealth creation industry there's more money to be had selling shovels to the gold diggers than in digging for gold itself.

Perthguy likes this.
  9. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

its a lot harder though being a shovel seller. The margins are higher though.

10. Ko Ko Naing

Ko Ko Naing Well-Known Member

Hi Bob,
    I'm an App Developer by trade. I've been doing both iOS and Android stuff for about 6 years and web development for about 7 years before that. I'd love to help you out, unless you already gave up on your idea. :)

Cheers!