VIC How to interpret this result?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by nonsleeper, 16th Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. nonsleeper

nonsleeper Member

I inspected a property on private sale and the agent said there was already an offer of X (within the asking price range).
    I topped up with the amount of X+Y (now a bit beyond the asking price range).
    The agent got back and said the other bidder offered X+Y+Z. Not so much difference, a few thousands. But my offer was unconditional, the other conditional. The agent said if I could increase my bid by a small margin, "it was yours".
    I felt something not so right so I retracted the offer. A few days later, I found it was sold for X+Y (my offer price).
    The question is: What is the likely explanation for this? Did the other bidder actually make X+Y+Z offer? Regardless of yes or no, why did it end up being sold at my offer price?

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

There are many possibilities. Likely ones:
    1. The selling agent or vendor liked the other buyers more than you. Vendors sometimes sell for emotional reasons (ie to an OO rather than a PI because they will be living there not renting out)
    2. The other buyers renegotiated the price down after a P&B report identified some issue/s.

JacM likes this.
  3. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Whilst your offer might be unconditional, you might still have chosen to cool off. The agent sometimes gets a vibe from someone they are likely to do that and would be wary of their offer accordingly.