How to interpret ratemyagent.com.au?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by davewastech, 9th May, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. davewastech

davewastech Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

If you were looking for an agent and you used ratemyagent would you take more note of the number of reviews of an agent, or would you pay more attention to number sold in your suburb / nearby suburbs? It's hard to judge from either as to whether that agent is getting the best prices. And if an agent has sold 90 properties in the last year I presume that means he did it by team work. I feel that somebody who gets a huge number of listings may just be good at getting listings - he's too busy to get the best prices.
    Any thoughts?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Only way to tell is to interview a few and to attend each of their listings which would be comparable to yours who other 4/3/2 units.

3. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

When I bought the agent pushed me for a review. It was going to be a bad one so I didn't want to do it before settlement then I decided not to bother.
    When I did restaurant management training I was told to take every complaint seriously because for every 1 person that complains, 10 just walk away from your business.
    So less reviews could mean bad reviews?? Agents I love I always leave a great review.

I don't think it makes sense to discount someone because they have too many great reviews.
    Read what the reviews say, you'll soon see a pattern to the type of agent they are.

4. davewastech

davewastech Well-Known Member

How about number of properties sold? I can find agents with over 90 sold and one agent with just one sale in the last 12 months.

5. kaibo

kaibo Well-Known Member

that website seems to be aligned to certain agencies and have not seen many negatives reviews so seems like it can be filtered. You also find only the aligned agencies would win their awards and making these pretty much meaningless

Have a look at recent sold listings in your area that have gone for good prices and attend a few OFI of those agents and see how they treat prospective buyer (you during the opens). Only need to shortlist 2 or 3 and go from there.

Ben20 likes this.