Education & Work How to impress in an interview?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Tim86, 7th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Lol...

2. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I know that's what you mean. I'm simply referring to your choice of words. The person interviewing you may think differently of you as a result - in a negative manner. Remember they don't know you that well as you said so yourself.

3. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

Perhaps it is a personality trait that is common for people that work on the phones for a living ;)

I think in my head I associate silence with them wanting to hear more...

4. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

If they make that mistake ill let you know. Their heads would have to be in a pretty bad place to take it that way though.

5. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Thats true.

6. Frazz

Frazz Well-Known Member

Agree with @Peter_Tersteeg regarding the comment about the interviewer generally already 'technically' qualifying you prior to getting you into the room. A lot is about cultural fit & having the right attitudes.

I think if you can project your passion (providing you are passionate) for the role to the interviewer then this can really help as well. A person who is passionate about their job will (generally, but not always) be more inclined to perform well because they care about and are interested in the field/industry/role.

Good luck for the interview!

Also, following some of the tongue-in-cheek above - here's some funny pictures I came across a while back!

[​IMG]

7. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

If you wear a tracksuit you won't have to worry about that.

legallyblonde and Tim86 like this.
  8. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Attitude is 80% of it. They have already determined that you are technically good enough for the job and being an internal candidate, you are in prime position.

Tim86 likes this.
  9. datto

datto Well-Known Member

True.

Although, Plumber's crack can become an issue with trackies, esp when you get up from the chair and turn to leave (assuming you get that far into the interview lol)

10. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Turning up to the interview in the first place... number of no shows is crazy

WattleIdo and legallyblonde like this.
  11. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Sounds like you need to give examples of how you would operate as a Supervisor to improve the performance of those you supervise, but with a mind to improve the Company as well through those examples.

Tim86 likes this.
  12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

13. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

When I am interviewing, I get a bit tired of the "what I can do for you" spiel - have seen that on the resume, and it is a rehearsed thing (although that's the ice breaker hopefully).

Honesty - as an interviewer, a standard question is on your most (believable) monumental stuff up, and most importantly how you recovered.

I like candidates who asks good questions relevant to the position (not "how often will I get a pay rise"!!!) - shows they have thought about the role. I also like candidates who asks questions that (similar to PT Bear's "taking control"thing) makes us (the interviewers) have to essentially sell the position to them.

Arrive early. I've had no hopers turn up 30 minutes late "due to traffic".

I've also had people turn up in t-shirts and tracky dacks (no joke) for an office position....

The Y-man

Frazz likes this.
  14. Scott No Mates

Was the top of the g-banger showing too?

15. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Agreed. As an interviewer, i just kept asking why after why after why. Most people rehearse what they need to say... its quite easy to catch out once you start digging because its only surface layer and beyond that they have nothing to back it up.

I usually throw completely messed up questions at them just to see how much of a "yes man / woman" they are. I don't need an order taker, i need someone who can think for themselves.

Tim86 likes this.
  16. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Yea, you gotta own the position if offered and give confidence to the interviewer that if they offer you the gig, you will own it and you will haul ass (yours and/or your teams) in order to kick serious ass.
    This tells them you will do whatever it takes to succeed. Ie The attitude/mindset thing I was talking about earlier...

Tim86 likes this.
  17. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Further, an obvious point: don't check out the interviewer in the interview itself.
    I did this once interviewing for a job and needless to say I didn't get the job.
    Well, it wasnt really my fault - she was hot and came to the interview in a little skirt and high heels...what was I supposed to do...:D
    Edit: that was a while back. Have since learnt the art of interviewing and have had success with many clients..

Last edited: 9th Sep, 2015
    neK likes this.
  18. Scott No Mates

Do you want fries with that?

19. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Some good replies so far thanks.

I'm going to do up a list of practical examples of things I've done that address the demands of the job.

Any body can just say they are good at something, but not everybody can demonstrate it.

20. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Remember to do a list (at least in your head) of areas you could improve and current weaknesses. Nothing irks me more than "I am faultless and my records prove it" (ok, maybe the tracky dacks irks me more)

The Y-man