How to get rid o

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Ali, 23rd Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. New Town

New Town Well-Known Member

Baits as EN710 says will do it no problems

Ed Barton likes this.
  2. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

I reckon you'd need a professional pest treatment if you had infestation. After that baits should do. They're pretty child and pet friendly.

I've never had an army of roaches. Put the baits down every few months and see the odd dead roach.

3. Excalibur1

Excalibur1 Well-Known Member

Best thing is use couple insect bombs.... Clean it all up... Keep the place spotless, don't leave food around. We had a massive cockroach problem whew e moved into our place too mainly because previous tenant had poor cleaning ritual. Once we exterminated all of them it felt really good and there was no random screams from missus.

After about 8 months they started appearing again, after dropping the insect bomb, it didn't seem to work. The old neighbor moved away and the new neighbor had sub par cleanliness of the apartment and had cockroaches everywhere. I didn't know that until i saw 3 of them run from the neighbors place to ours. Building management asked them to keep the place clean and they have after they talked to them, the numbers reduced significantly after that.

On the positive note apparently cockroaches are very clean insects!

4. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

When I first moved into my PPOR, there were heaps of cockroaches. I'd spray them with Raid/Mortein, and they would keep coming.

Then I got recommended this stuff:
    Amgrow 500ml Chemspray Ant Spider And Cockroach Killer Concentrate

I spray my entire house every 6 months with this, inside and out. I started using this 2 years ago.. Haven't seen a cockroach since.

I bought one of these along with it:
    Hozelock 8L Killaspray Garden Sprayer

The other alternative chemical is called 'Cislin 25'. But the chemspray works wonders for me, so I haven't bothered trying anything else. Make sure you wear safety gear when spraying- I always wear gloves, goggles and a proper mask.

Spraying the outside of the house, I spray the entire perimeter to the property and the house (around bottom of the house), into the weep holes, around items that spiders like to sit (like my CCTV cameras and lights), and openings (such as doors and windows).

For inside, I spray the perimeter again and thoroughly around 'wet' items like dishwasher, fridge, washing machine and under sinks.

NOTE: When you spray for the first time, cockroaches will come out of their hidey holes. You will see them for a good 2 weeks. When I see them, I let them roam, and 24hrs later, I find them dead.

Not bad for $76 - and one bottle does my house four times (600sqm land, 315sqm house).

5. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Aren't you afraid of ingesting those chemicals that are sprayed on?

One of my places had been infected by little brown cockroaches and the pest guy came out and he had some sort of gel which he went around dabbing under cupboards etc. Not sure what it was but it worked quickly and got rid of them all.

6. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

Not at all.. As long as you don't directly inhale it whilst spraying (wear a good mask), or drink a chunk of it (doubt it tastes nice), then you won't have any issues. When I spray, I make sure the wife and kid have gone out for 4 hrs, and I let the house aerate. I don't spray on surfaces like the kitchen countertop or tables or anywhere food could be handled.

The gel stuff for cockroaches works well.. the spray I use is an all rounder for spiders etc too. Saves me ~$200 a year calling out a professional who's just going to do the same thing.

7. Terry_w

But there would be residual chemicals on surfaces all over the house. I wouldn't want to breath them in or touch things and get chemicals on my skin etc.

8. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

This is true, but same goes for professionally done sprays, and hence the need for aeration. A professional I know uses the 'Cislin 25' product i mentioned before, which is meant to be more 'potent', yet is safe in food prep areas. It has all the same warnings of swallowing, getting skin contact etc. I'd imagine any 'spray' would be the same, hence your suggestion for the gel based product.

In the 2 years I've been using the product, I haven't noticed any health issues etc (we do also clean food prep/handling areas multiple times a day). My 17month old touches every surface she can get her hands on, and doesn't seem to have any issues. And we have no pest problems, even with all the food and crumbs she manages to hide :)

9. Terry_w

Didn't they used to say DDT was safe? Smoking etc.

I would be more concerned with young children running around.
    The gel should be more safe as it isn't sprayed around but placed in dobs and it was very effective.

10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Roach bombs work if you follow up with a second treatment a few weeks later to knock off anything which has hatched after the first treatment. You then need to seal all gaps eg benchtop/tiles, skirtings/floor, cupboard/walls , drain pipes/cupboard etc.

11. Ali

Ali Member

Thanks guys for your valuable feedback and suggestions. As told, I sent photos of roaches to PM. She is a nice lady. She arranged for professional pest cleaner. The professional pest cleaner came last week. He placed some dark brown gum like chemical on hinges of each door, windows and on commonplaces where roaches could be found. He told me that roaches will try to eat this chemical and will die. So in coming weeks, expect lot of roaches dead-bodies :). Moreover he told me that don't spray mortein or any other available spray as it will make roaches more resilient to these sprays.

Pumpkin and Terry_w like this.
  12. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Fantastic to hear that. Hope it all works out. :D