How to get more details about body corporate prior a purchase

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Samj, 13th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Samj

Samj Well-Known Member

If I want to buy a unit or a townhouse which is under a body corporate, how can I get more details about the building status (insurances, sinking fund, previous repairs and known issues in the building, may be meeting minutes). I have found a townhouse that I am interested in to go ahead but the sellers agent doesn't provide those details. When I asked about them, he just said "We have sold a few properties there and there were no issues". I am just wondering if it possible to check prior going to a contract.

2. Cadbury99

Cadbury99 Well-Known Member

Either employ someone to perform a strata search or meet the strata manager and inspect the records personally.
    If it was me I would employ an expert as I don't feel qualified to know exactly what I was looking for.

More details here : QLD: How Do You Do A Strata Search And Can I Do It Myself?

3. Ozzie in Texas

Ozzie in Texas Well-Known Member

Use an attorney and have them obtain it for you.

4. mouseburger

mouseburger Well-Known Member

If he can't provide contact details for the body corp manager, your solicitor should be able to. Some body corp management companies charge a fee to view their records, but better safe than sorry. Start by reading the AGM minutes for the last 5 years as these will give you a good idea of the building status and any issues with occupants.

5. Samj

Samj Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. You have answered my question!