How to fix insulation?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Chelsea E, 15th Nov, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Chelsea E

Chelsea E New Member

HI all,
    I'm trying to learn how to inspect homes and understand what needs to be done. I inspected this home yesterday: https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-strathpine-134637350

It was very very warm in the (Strange) upstairs area. Was wondering how the roof and the "thin-ness" of it plays a part in insulation... and how does one fix that so it is bearable? What kind of cost would that entail?

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

It's taken me a while to work out what's going on. Is the "strange" upstairs room just what is showing in the photo with the white railings, basically a style of open gallery?

All bedrooms and living are on the lower floors?

Joynz likes this.
  3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I didn’t notice the link! Looks like the issue may be cathedral ceilings which have either no room for insulation or very little insulation.

Hot air will always gather at the peak.

Is the ‘odd room’ the loft / mezzanine?

4. Chelsea E

Chelsea E New Member

Yes, the strange room is an upstairs gallery/loft area, and yes all the rooms are actually on the first level. It's a very interesting home. Just concerned that there's very very little insulation and how this could potentailly be fixed...

5. Chelsea E

Chelsea E New Member

Yes, that is the odd room.

That's what I was thinking. Was wondering if there's a way to combat that hot air?

6. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

Put insulation between the rafters? Assuming that is what they are?

wylie likes this.
  7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

This is an easy fix, but you lose the look of the exposed timber. Some won't like it, but with the white everywhere, I don't mind it. Sometimes this type of ceiling is just too oppressive.

Are you looking for a house to live in or a rental.

For a rental, I'd do nothing except maybe add some opening skylights or whirly bird style means of allowing the hot air to escape. You could possibly have some sort of vent at each end, though I see there are already louvres, but can they be opened? And add air-con to the living area. I can see aircon in the main bedroom.

If I was going to live in this house, I'd look at swapping the kitchen for the bedroom that backs onto the living area, to allow a flow from front door, through living area, through kitchen to a big new back deck.

It is odd that the living areas are at the front with no connection to what looks like a nice back yard. So I'd swap kitchen and bedroom to get that flow.

I'm not sure I'd keep that gallery. The stairs take up living room space and what use is the gallery? I cannot imagine why it was built. It would be hot and who'd even go up there anyway?

And I don't like sliding doors as front doors. They never look "right" to me and I think are confusing for visitors. If I lived there, I'd swap that sliding entry door for a proper entry door.

8. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

Even if there are batts in the ceiling, it hasn't got the layer of air in traditional roof, which itself is a good insultation and helps to ventilate the roof through convection. It will be hot with cathedral ceilings.

Joynz likes this.
  9. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

This is Strathpine - low cost housing built in the 1970s for young families on minimum wages. The cathedral ceiling was "high class" at a time when design was not considered beyond whether you went for mission brown or lime green and orange.

Just insulate the top ceiling if you must, or leave it. Why spend $$$ on a place that will only ever achieve minimal rent?

10. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Strange build for QLD or any area with warmth and that ceiling is all that stops it looking like a small box. One solution is to infill quality insulation batts to the inner ceiling and line the whole thing with plasterboard. It could get a bit echo-ey and a performated plasterboard panel may be wise to absorb some of that noise (esp since floor is tiled) and will stop it looking like a huge white ceiling too. Otherwise its a hefty air con bill to maintain the temperature I suspect.

A new benchtop with a breakfast bar would avoid that silly table crammed in.

May take time to sell as its wierd and there is no simple fix to wierd.