How to find out what are tenants in the area looking for?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by MiffyFanBubbles, 7th Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MiffyFanBubbles

MiffyFanBubbles Active Member

I've been on the hunt for an IP in the South-West suburbs lately and have been trying to do some research on what tenants in each of the suburbs might be looking for e.g.
    There are properties in Werribee/Hoppers Crossing that are large in land size but are approx 50 years old
    vs
    There are units/house in Seabrook that are very small in size (approx 200 sqm)

It could be that Werribee/Hoppers Crossing are not dominated by families and Seabrook is dominated by families, which makes both options undesirable because it is likely to be vacant.

I've been thinking about calling local real estate agents to find out what tenants tend to rent in those areas but would they be willing to tell/help me when I'm not looking to buy or rent from them? Seems like they don't have incentive to help me.

How do you all do your research?

2. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Ask a property manager what properties rent easily. They'll know. They'll want you to buy something that they can easily rent at a premium price. Go to a few open inspections and talk to them.

Property managers have the best incenive of all to help you. It generates them business. Honest advice from them also means you're more likely to buy a property that will be easily to work with.

Last edited: 7th Jan, 2021
  3. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Future Investment property owners need a Property Manager

MiffyFanBubbles likes this.
  4. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

Bingo. I did this many times back in the day and it works.

The incentive is that if they help you, you might use them as PM and a little help goes a long way.

- Andrew

No_Limits and MiffyFanBubbles like this.
  5. acetate

acetate Well-Known Member

schools/stations/demographic/parks/shops