How to find out more about the rental market in specific suburbs

Discussion in 'Property Information Resources & Tools' started by Kramerica12, 21st Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Kramerica12

Kramerica12 Well-Known Member

Hi,

I’m thinking about bidding on a 2 storey, 4 bedroom house in a certain suburb. This house would be an investment for around 7-10 years before likely moving in later on as a long term house.

I have looked at current and past rental listings on similar houses in the area to get a gauge of price. But I want to find out more information on what the demand is like for this type of property in this area. I can’t just ask the real estate agent selling the house as they always say you’ll have no problem renting it. So how can I go about getting good quality, independent information about this.

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Research it like you would a renter.

The Y-man likes this.
  3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Call rental agencies in the area, and as per @Trainee put yourself in a renter's shoe.

Monitor the rental ads on RE com and see how long they stay vacant for.

The Y-man

4. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Email and call a few agents in the area, saying this is what I'm looking for. Check out ads. How many ads are there? How long are they staying up for? Are they cutting rent? How quickly are rental agents calling you back? Track it for a couple of weeks. Go to opens for rent.

Its no different from when you are looking to buy.

5. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

Definitely chat to a few other property management businesses, although keep in mind that currently the market is not typical and a lot of demand has dropped away.