how to find design advice

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by bob shovel, 17th Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Hi gang

How do you find a designer or draftsperson (or architect??) to help with renovation designs?

I would be looking to engage someone to help with planning and designing a new facade and also changing internal floor plan.

I have done a google etc but it's hard to pin point people to talk and to harder again to find someone who you think will be on the same page.

I want to plan a reno but I want to nut out the "end product" before I start so I want to have someone draw plans/sketchs so we are heading on the right path, plus ensure we are getting the right finished product for us and also the area. And of course a budget and schedule of how many years it will be done over

and yes, I know everyone here can help so once/if we settle I'll put up some photos :)

2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Recommendations are always good. You can also look at renovation DAs on your council website and get all the consultants details. A good interior designer can also be a great help.

3. Hamish Blair

Hamish Blair Well-Known Member

I would start with a functional analysis based on what your research indicates the market prefers.

Need to have the right number of the right type of rooms, in the right location. Room locations and connections are important.

bob shovel likes this.
  4. bob shovel

true. It's a 4x1 and want to use the footprint to be 4x2 with WIR. Also look to add a study/5th bed if there is room

Market is PPOR so we want it for us firstly, but this lend itself to what the "family market" wants also

5. bob shovel

ah good one! so that gives designers and architects details? I would like a local, or someone that's worked in the area (but not the expensive ones:D)

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Move to a cheaper area? :rolleyes:

7. bob shovel

Im buying cheap in an expensive area! :cool: They wont know what hit em!

8. LFA

LFA Member

What location do you live. I can recommend a draftsman in Newcast. I used a draftsman and it was money well spent as I was able to email plans to all type of contractors and take to stores for rough quotes.