How to find area of the land in NSW?

Discussion in 'Development' started by property_geek, 2nd May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. property_geek

property_geek Well-Known Member

I am looking at a property contract that shows only the dimensions of the land in feet and inches. It doesn't say what the total area of the land is.
    So I calculated the area from the dimensions manually.

Problem is, the area that I calculated is different from the area I see on value general website.
    Value general website shows total area as 600.5 sqm, however what I calculated using dimensions on contract is 598.5 sqm. That's a difference of 2 sqm.

The land is a potential development land where according to LEP, detached dual occupancy is allowed provided area is not less than 600 sqm.

Questions:
    1. What is the source of information(for total area) the council town planner look at during DA assessment?
    2. What are the chances a DA application won't get rejected for a 2sqm difference assuming all other criteria meet.

Property is in NSW.

2. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

1) May need a new survey to be certain
    2) I have seen council refuse for such a small variation (normally a Clause 4.6 variation would cover it in the past, but not so sure now)

lixas4, bmc and Archaon like this.
  3. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

it's not unusual to calculate differences from imperial measurements shown on old plans. many area dimensions are rounded to the nearest integer and areas are generally shown to 4 significant figures (surveyor generals regulation).

the other thing i question is your method of calculation. have you taken into account the bearings of the boundary lines ?

property_geek, Anthony416 and lixas4 like this.
  4. property_geek

Thanks for the reply @Anthony416 and @bmc
    Does council DA assessor (when a DA is lodged) requests a new survey to be carried out for all applications?
    If my draftsman prepares DA considering area as 600.5 sqm, how council validates that's the correct area measurement? Do they just take the word for it? or do they lookup on some sort of record to determine the total area.

In case where there is a slight difference in total area from old plans (that's available with property contract) what is considered as source of truth (by council town planner while assessing a DA application)?

I assumed angle between sides to be 90 degree. If not the total area(calculated from map) would be even less than 598.5 sqm. This is still different from what I see (600.5 sqm) on valuer general website.

I want to know how a council town planner(who is assessing a DA application) determines what the total area is or whether total area provided with the draft is correct or not.

5. XBenX

XBenX Well-Known Member

Why don’t you ask the council, you can ask a planner for free and go to the source at the same time.

bmc likes this.
  6. Anthony416

This was going to be my next suggestion, not to avoid answering your question but councils can differ. Regional councils act differently to big city councils and even within Sydney councils there are differences.

property_geek and bmc like this.
  7. lixas4

lixas4 Well-Known Member

Post the title plan and we can compute the area for you.

property_geek likes this.
  8. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

@property_geek just having another read of this I tend to agree with Anthony.
    I assume you have viewed the DP and if it doesn't indicate an area suggests to me that it may be a very old parcel of land or old system title. (or you're not reading it right)

If so, the dimensions may vary subject to Survey and / or deduction from surrounding titles.
    a Surveyors report or a Detail Site survey may be required upon your DA submission. (can be checked on any council website) your Surveyor will show an area as "calculated" or "deducted".

I'm not sure how the valuer general has come to that figure, possibly an approximation at best.

as suggested maybe raise these issues at a pre-lodgement meeting with council.

@lixas4 has graciously offered to look at your plan if you send him the details.

Last edited: 5th May, 2020
    property_geek and lixas4 like this.
  9. property_geek

Thanks for suggestions everyone. I called council and they advised the "calculated area" in their records is 596.5sqm and the "registered area" is 600.5 sqm.

He also advised the survey will be required if a DA is to be lodged in future and from his past experience his manager will not approve detached dual occupancy if the minimum area condition is not met.

10. Anthony416

An updated survey will be to the new GDA/MGA2020 standard. Also explain to the surveyor the purpose and that a high level of accuracy is needed (some non registered "surveyors" tend to cut corners (pun intended).

Last edited: 6th May, 2020
    lixas4 and Tufan Chakir like this.
  11. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

dear PC,
    briefly, a boundary redefinition survey (Deposited Plan) that is to be lodged and registered with Dept of Lands (LRS),
    only a Registered Land Surveyor is permitted and licensed to do this. this includes anything relating to property boundaries, certification, work as executed plans, Identification reports, lease areas etc etc.
    OneGov Mobile | Public Register

For a typical residential level and detail survey, (different type of survey used for design or ie: DA) one does not need to be licensed (but should be qualified (Ba or Dip)) as it is not defining boundaries, and in some cases the boundary is only shown diagramatically.
    Level and detail surveys do not typically need to be relative to GDA2020 coordinates but levels shown must be relative to AHD (Australian Height Datum),

having said that, most councils are now requesting the boundary to be shown accurately and a Registered Surveyor is to sign these level surveys for DA submissions. (no more cutting corners ;))

This adds to the cost of these surveys but allows for accurate design when setbacks, clearances to boundaries etc are paramount.
    Rather than having the designs drawn up,- the builder is on site ready to start, - only to be told it is not going to fit when the surveyor turns up to set-out the new building.

kind regards,
    bmc

lixas4 and Anthony416 like this.