How to distribute super in Host Plus account?

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by Justin_mo, 25th Jul, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Justin_mo

Justin_mo Well-Known Member

Hi,

I just join Host Plus and rolled over all my super into it.
    I'm 39 years old and want to go a bit aggressive with my super.

Suggestions on how to distribute / invest it?

2. Rickwood

Rickwood Member

Marg4000 likes this.
  3. mkbonline

mkbonline Well-Known Member

I am in the same boat as you Juston (same age as you also). What option you went for?

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Not in hostplus but I have the majority of mine in high growth strategy across 2 high performing funds. The spread of returns is less than 1% between them so not quite a higher risk profile between high growth and balanced/growth.

5. mkbonline

mkbonline Well-Known Member

Which funds you end up selecting?

6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Do you really want unqualified unlicensed financial advice ? Its kind of like asking another sick person what drugs they are taking - Your condition or other health factors may be different to theirs.

SatayKing and Terry_w like this.
  7. Justin_mo

@mkbonline
    The standard option is "Balanced Plus."
    I ended up selecting 80% "Shares Plus" and 20% Balanced Plus. The Shares Plus option is not all shares, it's just higher exposure to shares.

Do what feels right for you. Ensure diversification. The Balanced Plus option has done well historically I believe. But Since I am under 40 wanted more aggressive approach.

8. Justin_mo

@Paul@PFI This whole forum is about discussion and of course "unlicensed advice" from time to time. So there is not point telling people they are not even allowed to discuss superannuation on an investing forum!

If you are an accountant or financial advisor you can give your two cents and perhaps even licensed advice.
    I assume the PFI in your handle does not stand for "pressure and flow information," but stands for something like Price Financial Industries or similar. Hence you have an accounting background?

codeninja and RS Gumby like this.
  9. Paul@PAS

This forum is not actually about seeking unlicensed financial advice since ASIC frowns on that. Its illegal for a person to give financial advice without a license. This forum is not an investment forum as such. Its an all things property forum with some threads on super etc. Asking a specific question about "how should I invest" is asking for a bunch of people without any experience and qualifications but perhaps some (good or bad) personal experiences to throw in their 2 bob and out of context (since they could be retired or 20 years old!). No qualified and experienced person will actually answer your question. Cause they still may be liable as general advice. So the replies will skew to poor guidance.

I saw the post and was alarmed for what may be said. Standing in Martin Place randomly asking people for advice on your super wont be a good idea. This is no different. I'm surpised nobody said what I was expecting - You should have a smsf and buy direct investments. That would be a poor decision too. Thats what unregulated guidance can do. Hope you find a balanced answer however.

Perhaps phrase your question differently and be more enquiring rather than ask for a solution as such. Plenty of threads and info to search. There are threads on some direct investments but Hostplus likely wont allow you to do that or strictly limit it - They call it the self managed managed investment approach. The Product disclosure documnets may be a good learning point to understand AL the options. You may find the technical side of that overly complex and this exposes you to risk and higher fees. Most industry funds offer strategies such as growth, balanced etc. The composition of the strategy may reflect choice of risk etc.

Hostplus also offer more member specific guidance BUT that is financial advice. And you will pay for that. But they may offer some basic guidance.

I am a tax adviser. Not a financial adviser I work with financial advisers.

10. Justin_mo

Fair enough!

"Standing in Martin Place randomly asking people for advice..." hehe... or Times Square in NY could offer the same strategy. Haha.

Yeah I think some super funds offer financial planners or something similar with their funds. I was with AMP up until recently and had multiple finance people I could ring for free. But AMP was crap for super performance.

11. Paul@PAS

Super funds dont hand out free financial advice. LOL AMP. Very costly free advice :confused: And what did they peddle ? Costly fee based products sold by AMP. Many funds will allow you to speak to their advisers (often contractors or salaried maybe with performance incentives) who are limited in what they can say (general information) unless you opt in for paid advice that considers all your circumstances and then guess what they will recommend ??? Nothing independent.

12. Justin_mo

My previous employer was with AMP back in 2013, 2014 etc. About 20+ people were in the fund and got an extra 1% return for a group super fund or something like that!
    They (my ex-employer,) had a financial advisor come into our office, NOT from AMP, a local Melbourne based company who recommended the fund, which was new at the time. Years later I realise AMP was kind of s*%t, but years ago I guess it seemed good.

13. Synergy

Synergy Well-Known Member

I do 50/50 IFM Australian shares/Indexed international in hostplus. Mer is 0.07%

14. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

No-one can really advise unless qualified but how about you read Barefoot investor.
    Both of his books suggest HostPlus too, and if you are young enough he suggests 50%/50% indexed international shares vs IFM - Australian shares.
    He provides reasoning for it so please read both books!
    The Barefoot Investor for Families
    The Barefoot Investor 2019 Update