VIC How to decline tenant request for mobility and grab handles

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Jasmine, 1st Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

BS

I am involved in every persons application, I say who goes in, not my bloody PM.

So, someone hurts a leg, I need to change my bathroom ? How about they stay in hospital if they are not well.

As said, I would let them go, or they could reno my bathroom on exit if it is one like the OPs.

This is all a nonsense, that is what it is, it is a non issue if common sense is used.

2. dabbler

lol

I do not really know what your talking about.

My bloody property thanks, do not like it as is, find another that suits you better.

With some of the thinking here, if I rent my old walk up on the 3rd floor and some old chook, or some young twit decides to ask for an elevator cause it is too hard now for x,y or z reason, many of you would be silly enough too ask the BC it seems....

Bah....

I really wonder how some venture out the door at times, and all this govt hand holding is killing our societies, bunch of pushovers, damn hope China does not invade, damn oldies will be the ones that have to fight, the rest of you will run it seems !

If it ever got too the extent some of you make out, well you get out. I would.

Last edited by a moderator: 6th Jan, 2019
    Michael Mitchell likes this.
  3. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

If it was any other business ,especially in retail , they would get absolutely smashed by the media and by a few other rules and regulations
    Most business have to provide access for the disabled , most toilet facilities have to provide grab handles in at least one toilet. for the less abled people amongst us, many workplaces also have to comform to this.
    Unfortunately a small group of investors are a bit clueless when it comes down to other peoples rights and using a bit of common sense,but are more focused on other unrelated issues that tend to give the whole industry a bad name.
    A storm in a teacup.

Last edited: 6th Jan, 2019
    Scott No Mates, Joynz, Angel and 3 others like this.
  4. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

Not quite the same thing, but from today's Age

"A 76-year-old woman with physical disabilities forced to ask strangers on the street to help her open the door to her Travancore building has won a significant legal case in which two owners corporations were ordered to pay her $10,000 and install automated doors and ramps in the building.

In a decision hailed as a victory for Victorians with disabilities, the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal found that the owners corporations maintaining the complex had discriminated against Anne Black, a legally blind pensioner reliant on a wheelchair or scooter, by failing to make reasonable adjustments to the building’s common areas to accommodate her disability.
    Ms Black bought a fourth-storey unit in the apartment complex on Mount Alexander Road in 2013, two years before an unsuccessful operation on her foot left her permanently disabled.
    The building complied with building codes when it was constructed between 2006 and 2008, but would not meet new standards for disability access.

The Disability Discrimination Legal Service, acting on behalf for Ms Black, submitted an expert report outlining a series of necessary modification works, most of which tribunal member Bernadette Steele was satisfied were reasonable adjustments....
    "

Elderly disabled woman wins legal battle over access to her Travancore apartment

Scott No Mates likes this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Couldn't do that, I'd break out in a sweat and need to pop a couple of energy drinks.

6. dabbler

The difference now is, we are a country with a lot of people who ran from own country due to war, but only a few generations ago we all travelled os to fight wars for king and queen and for the good of our country.

I see it will likey be the opposite of the nazis who used children, all the yellow bellies we have inherited due to softties will mean us oldies will have to fight back with walking sticks.....guns will still be illegal and too dangerous for war... :):p

7. dabbler

Very different.

An owner and no detail on reasonable changes.

This could happen on a rental, but sensible people would assist tenant find a better home.

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The building had a lift, the OC was required to improve accessibility. Would the alternative have been to remove the lift to facilitate access only for the able bodied?

9. dabbler

I think that is a better proposition, also you could charge everyone a fitness fee and something for extending healthy life.

I am going to put it on next agendas....ta SNM.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  10. qak

qak Well-Known Member

Ugh - and if the building did not have a lift, and she asked for one ...

11. Wiz

Wiz Well-Known Member

I would say something like:

I know that grab rails would be helpful to you, and I feel bad for declining, but I really don't like the way grab rails look and I am very worried about the effects of drilling through the waterproofing membrane. So I am saying no, and I completely understand if this means that you need to move to a different property. Again, I am very sorry about this, but I just think that grab rails are going to cause me problems in the future that will be expensive to deal with. I really hope you understand.

12. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

Please tell me the occupier had to pay the costs for the installation though? The BC/OC cannot refuse under the Act, but they're not responsible for the costs, in this case, if they were ordered to pay for the rectification works, what tf ?!

13. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

"Ms Steele ordered the two owners corporations that maintain the building to widen several doorways, install four automated doors and install a kerb rail and step ramp in the car park. The owners corporations were also ordered to jointly pay Ms Black $10,000 in compensation, an amount Ms Steele considered to be “conservative in the circumstances”.

“I accept that she suffered humiliation, stress, anxiety, frustration and embarrassment,” Ms Steele said in the ruling handed down last month. “In my view, these experiences were especially painful in relation to not being able to access her home from the street without help.”
    Galina Roy, a senior manager from the owners corporations, told the tribunal the proposed modifications in the expert report would cost upwards of $42,000.

Ms Steele noted that both businesses appeared to be in a “strong financial position” but added that if a special levy were raised, each of the 54 lot owners within the complex would be asked for between $600 and $700. ...
    "

14. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

The OP seems to have disappeared!

15. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

is anyone else thinking of "Dads Army"

16. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Good script - the only problem is that, clearly, the OP doesn’t feel bad at all.