How to close family trust?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by evisional2, 5th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. evisional2

evisional2 Well-Known Member

Hi

I have opened a family trust last year but later I decided not to use this trust at all. The trust has registered with ABN and TFN. I want to close it but do not know how to do it.

I called Business Portal and was advised that I have to closed TFN first, then they can close the ABN attached to my trust.

I have called ATO to close the TFN, they advised me that I cannot close TFN but I cano lodge tax return and select an option no longer required lodge TFN in the tax return. I downloaded the trust tax return but could not find any where in the tax return to select this option. Note that there is no online tax return for trust.

Now I am very confused. Can someone give me a direction?

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Read the deed
    Follow the deed to vest the trust (if allowable)
    Distribute the property of the trust to the relevant beneficiaries.
    Lodge tax return

There was a thread on here recently - last 2 weeks or so - about closing a trust.

3. evisional2

evisional2 Well-Known Member

Thanks Terry! I will read it tonight.

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Nat 0660 page 2 - Question...Is this a Final Return. Use Y = Yes.
    A letter to advise the trust did not trade, had no assets or income and will not proceed would also do the trick. Provided you are a authorised person, trustee etc

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.