How to claim personal super contribution in MyTax 2018 (MyGov)

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by PropertyInsight, 15th Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. PropertyInsight

PropertyInsight Well-Known Member

I have made personal contribution to my super fund before 30/6/2018 and sent the super fund manager the intent claim personal contribution. This is the after tax contribution. The Fund manager has already taken 15% tax on this personal contribution.

Now I am filling the MyTax Return (MyGOV), but I could not find any relevant sections in the form to claim back the personal contribution. Can you help me?

2. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member

If using MyTax give the ATO a call and they are generally quite helpful in assisting.

There is a section on the return for you to fill out. Will just need a few of the funds details etc.

3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

When was the starting date for the deduction? Check the leglislation.

I thought it did not start until this financial year, but happy to be wrong.
    Marg

4. G..

G.. Well-Known Member

At the start, you were asked a number of questions to "Personalise your return".
    Under "You had deductions you want to claim" you needed to have ticked "Other deductions".
    When you have done this, additional questions will appear in the deductions section, one of which relates to your personal super contribution, where you can enter it as a deduction.

If you missed the selection and are already in the part where you fill in the details, at the top there will be four circles numbered 1 to 4. Circle 3 is "Personalise your return" and you can click on it and change your answer to that question, then click "Next" at the bottom.

I hope my explanation makes sense!

PropertyInsight and Perthguy like this.
  5. G..

G.. Well-Known Member

It started last financial year.
    Personal super contributions

My Wife made a significant contribution in June using this method and is claiming it now.

SarahM, PropertyInsight and Marg4000 like this.
  6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

1. You need to have the fund letter that confirms they processed the contribution as a concessional contribution
    2. Item D12 in the return...It now asks a question about the letter referred to in 1.

D12 may be hidden and you can navigate to it using the index OR follow the tip by G... above