How to claim electrician liability insurance

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Jasmine, 17th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jasmine

Jasmine Well-Known Member

Thanks. While I agree with you, this time we are dotting our I's and crossing our T's. Sorry to sound cocky but an engineering report is a small price to pay.

It's unlikely that the electrician would return. Plus, I'm also not giving the electrician (aka hole cutter), the satisfaction knowing that he structurally damaged our home.

I'd prefer to fix the issue, then pursue legal action if legally available (to maybe recover costs). Two structural engineers wanted to come around the same day (of the phone call) as they said this was an imminent failure scenario.

Last edited: 17th Jan, 2020
  2. Jasmine

Thanks for taking a second look at the photo. That timber is a single chord. There is no "second" timber on top of the first. There are metal furrings to "level" the ceiling plaster throughout the ceiling.

3. lightbulbmoment

lightbulbmoment Well-Known Member

Two structural engineers wanted to come round straight away as it was an easy $500 billed to you.

As long as you don't name and shame the bloke on all available channels without giving him a chance to fix and letting him no your unhappy, all good

Optimus and Joynz like this.
  4. Jasmine

Yes, and no. Both said they were too busy and couldn't do an inspection for 3 weeks and referred other less busy engineers.

You're a better and/or braver person than I. He knew exactly what he was doing (most likely being lazy). Why should he be trusted to fix it? I also don't want him doing it to others who don't know about this stuff.

5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

The first step in any dispute resolution is to give the other party the opportunity to rectify the (suspected) damage.

You will seriously compromise any rights you may have if you go ahead and authorise remedial action without contacting the original electrician first.

punti, Perthguy, Optimus and 3 others like this.
  6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The thin bottom pieces of timber would appear to be plywood, the other piece with the arrow on it would be a 3 x 2 (70 x 40mm) sitting on edge (where it flexes less). I am assuming that the rest of this chord is too dark to see in the photo.

Any chance of a better photo if it is still exposed?

7. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

If the lights are in a hallway, wouldn't if be a very minimal span anyway?
    Doesn't seem like a dangerous issue that needs urgent attention.
    Need a better photo as @Scott No Mates says.

punti and col col like this.
  8. lightbulbmoment

Because he s a tradie who probably cuts 100s of these out each year and made a simple mistake. Anything could be going through has head.

Less than a 100 bucks to fix and you want to call lawyers and sue the bloke. Take a chill pill

punti, keenas, housechopper2 and 5 others like this.
  9. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Sparkie without a stud finder o_O That the first tool to use before using a hole saw.

10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Or small drill hole from the bottom and then into the roof to see where it would come out. We had to do this with recent extra downlights.

Anthony416 likes this.
  11. lightbulbmoment

You get a coat hanger , make it into a wire and bend it over 50mm. Then you put it up the hole and make a circle motion. This will be 100mm diameter then your good to go.

Perthguy, willair and wylie like this.
  12. G..

G.. Well-Known Member

Most modern houses use truss roofs where the truss is designed to span the entire width of the house. All internal walls are non load-bearing. The bottom chord of the truss is in tension to pull the outer corners in, which then holds up the top of the triangle. There are also timber braces that help with this as well. Cutting the bottom chord of a truss will reduce the forces available to hold the roof up. Damaging one truss is probably not a major issue unless you have an event that puts significant strain on your roof (eg, excessive winds).

This issue has nothing to do with the span between walls and is related to holding up the roof, not the ceiling.

Jasmine likes this.
  13. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Honestly - just call the guy and talk about it!

punti and col col like this.
  14. Jasmine

Not sure what you are trying to say with this post. He shouldn't be cutting any out. He's a electrician, not a structural engineer.

15. Jasmine

Agree.

16. Jasmine

While I do not disagree with this, the electrician is not a qualified structural engineer. How is he qualified to fix the issue? Would he even know the term laminate? Where to the best place to drill in a chord? etc...

Hypothetically if the electrician completely cut the chord (or the chord cracked in a few months in it's new weakened state), and roof started to bow, I would not be calling him to remedy the situation I would be calling an expert. It's lucky we saw this before it was too late.

17. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member Business Member

So why not let him get someone more suitable to fix rather than take legal action?

Bit extreme, don't you think?

Obviously more to the story.

18. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

He can clarify that he has cut the packers/ceiling battens not cut through the bottom chord.

I bought some laminates from the cake shop earlier today, that coconut sure makes a mess in the car. :rolleyes:

willair likes this.
  19. Jasmine

@Scott No Mates Allow me to clarify. One chord. One timber member. No plywood. Again, one chord.

Attached Files:

20. Jasmine

I have trust issues. I have lost trust in him, and thus any of his recommended trades.

Extreme? Not really, that chord will be cracked in 6 months tops.

Simple story really.

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.