How to choose Airbnb guests

Discussion in 'Airbnb & Short Term Letting' started by SI22, 25th Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. SI22

SI22 New Member

Hi all,

Looking to get into becoming an Airbnb host. Some of my friends love it and some of them are totally against it. Of course, I want to ensure my property is safe so I was just wondering if there were any tell-tale signs to look out for when talking to a potential renter e.g. number of guests, reason for stay. One of my friends had a particularly negative experience so it would be nice to know what exact questions to ask the renter beforehand so as to best protect my property. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Older guests are generally a good bet.
    Families are generally good, but if they have babies they can be messy.

I think it depends on the location of the property too, and how you present your property. If it looks good, you'll get good guests. If it looks bad, then you probably will get a higher % of troublesome guests.

What's bad: Some guests booking through booking.com as there is no review system and no ID verification on the site. So if you go through booking.com, be prepared for more trouble. (Up to you if you decide to list on more than 1 platform). I'd suggest don't list on booking.com. I got people fleeing domestic violence but the violence followed them. Some other people running from the law too. Yes, seriously.

In high demand periods like New Year my guests must have a history of positive reviews or be older guests.

Since you specifically asked, if you want to be a bit discriminatory, I'd suggest be wary of groups of 3 or more young people with no history of reviews.

Ouchmyknees, thatbum and Sackie like this.
  3. SI22

SI22 New Member

Some great points to think about. Thanks so much for that!

4. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

* Remove instant booking
    * Set minimum stay of at least 3 nights
    * Avoid self check in

Ouchmyknees likes this.
  5. Ouchmyknees

Ouchmyknees Well-Known Member

You can't.
    I've got a lady in her 40s with good reviews and government ID verification emptied two bottles of bleach on the bathroom floor which burnt the cleaner's hands - I don't understand why.
    I've got a gentleman who's got 6 good reviews, also government ID verification who wants to extend, then his payment for extension bounced back and he took the key with him when he left so we had to change the lock. I have another more detailed post about this incident, the situation was very bizarre but it shows that Airbnb is not as secure as hosts might think.
    And don't get me started on bookings.com, it is exactly as Gockie described, no security whatsoever.
    That's why I've closed both of my Airbnbs.
    the headaches are just not worth it.

6. jodes

jodes Well-Known Member

It's impossible to tell. My worst guests ever (across more than 200 so far) had 45 glowing guest reviews. I quite often make judgement (bit young, seem irresponsible) and then they turn out to be absolutely perfect. For me, I care less about guests who might leave my house dirty (as it can be cleaned) but more about the very fussy guests who you can't please who will leave you an unfair review- they are my biggest fear.
    I would go against what @ATANG said and leave on instant book and go for self- check in (and I have a minimum of 2 nights). Instant book gets you much higher in the rankings (resulting in more bookings) and self check-in results in way less headaches (and guests prefer it).