How to choose a Property manager when leasing IP

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Gazza315, 6th Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gazza315

Gazza315 New Member

Hi everyone,

I have a house looking to rent it out in Quakers hill Sydney. Would like some advice on how to spot a good Property Manager and what questions we must ask before choosing one.

Thank you!

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  2. Kevbo

Kevbo Well-Known Member

You’d probably want to know the fee structure and the PM’s approach when selecting a tenant.

I recommend @Hayley Cannon around your area - she’s an excellent PM.

3. Looking4PM

Looking4PM Active Member

I'm in the same boat as you.
    What I'm doing is to read as much as online reviews as possible, always read both side of the stories - landlords and tenants. There are several scenarios, for example:
    (1) Too many positive reviews from tenants and not many positive reviews from landlords: Redflag, should I avoid this PM?
    (2) Equal amount of positive reviews from tenants and landlords: should I consider to hire this PM?
    (3) Equal amount of negative reviews from tenants and landlords: Redflag, I would avoid this PM.
    (4) Too many "dummy" positive reviews (those giving 5/5 * rating without leaving any details): Redflag, more research needed?
    (5) PM doesn't allow Google reviews (possibly because of too many negative reviews in the past): Redflag: I don't deal with a business who turns off Google review facility.
    (6) ..... any suggestions?

4. Bradley Peet

Bradley Peet Well-Known Member

Firstly - call around.

The agents that either don't pickup or return your call within 1 hour - scratch them off your list.

Check their follow up- chat with any Managers that pick up the phone. Let them chat about their services and let them know you'll review and think about it over the next 'X' days. Anyone that calls you back - put them at the top of the list.

From there chat with the actual person that would manage your property (not the BDM/leasing agent). Of course chat about their fee's, routine inspection regularity, days on market etc but also ask of their personal experience in PM. Are they new to this, have they changed agencies multiple times? You want stability, and a highly competent property is worth their weight in gold.

Pumpkin and charlie01 like this.
  5. charlie01

charlie01 Well-Known Member

Of course, you have to do your screening process first in order to have a short list to call.