How to buy next door?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by TMNT, 24th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

so we all know ways to try and buy next door, letter drop, phone call, email, getting an agent to door knock,

my situation is essentially no different, but I still have next doors phone number with me from a fence issue recently.

I want to offer to buy next door, hopefully at a BMV price (doesnt have to be a screaming bargain) just not a hyped up value. However I dont know if next door is an owner or tenant.

I also dont want them to know that if I do engage in negotiations with them, that I own next door because they might see this as a negotiating tactic.

I dont live in this property so ive never met or spoken to both tenants.

However if I call up and say hey I got your number from the agent from next door, theyll either know its me or they will scream at the agent for releasing private info to strangers (me)

What do you guys think of to get my foot in the door.

I was thinking of sending a text to the number and asking if they are the tenant or owner, and say that I got their number from the tenant next door when I walked past the house and knocked on uour door but there was no answer.

any suggestions folks?

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

If you're cold calling anyway, I don't see the big deal in letting the vendor know that you own next door. There's a reasonable chance they would find out anyway, and not like the fact that you tried to hide it.

3. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

You could get a solicitor or buyer's agent to approach them on your behalf. You could call up a few BA's and see what they will charge.

That allows you to get an offer in and the negotiation done anonymously.

I was also given the tip at the meetup, that this sort of approach keeps your identity and intent secret should the property ever go on the market.

4. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Sometimes the simplest approach is the best. Ring t hem and say Hi, just wanted to ask that if they wanted to sell now or in the future to let you know as it could save them the agency fees etc.

5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Terry, if you purchased in a trust, anyway they would find out??

MTR:)

6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I have tried to purchase properties by mailing letters to the owners. From my experience and its happened a few times now, once they know you are interested for some reason they think their property is worth more than it really is, strange that

MTR:)

7. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I agree with that effect.

So I think it possibly would be an advantage that the vendor knows that the reason you want their property is simply that you own next door, so they don't wonder what your 'hidden' motivation is.

Last edited: 25th Jul, 2015
    MTR likes this.
  8. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

Ask your real estate agent to look on rp data to find the owner details. Or alternatively, as you own the property next door, call the council to ask for the owners details. Say you want to request a new fence. They should provide you with their mailing address.

Jessproperty likes this.
  9. Jessproperty

Jessproperty Well-Known Member

We just bought next door to us last Saturday. We found out too late that they were selling as they had signed with an agent. We managed to get his number from the other neighbour and didn't tell him who we were but that we wanted to make an offer but he said no. We went to the inspections and didn't let on too much to the agents but got a contract and bid on the day and won. Today we just found out another property same size unrenovated down the road sold at Auction today for $50k more.

If the property is located in Sydney they will be keen to go auction to get the maximum profit.....or you may be lucky if they have been living under a rock ;)

10. Kael

Kael Well-Known Member

It'd suck if the house was a rental though and the owners PM received the council correspondence.

11. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

They could check who the directors are of the corporate trustee, assuming you're using one

12. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

By luck, my neighbor was selling their house next door and would have been a good purchase for use in the future because their land was around 600 or 700sqm and with my property being close to 700sqm, it would have been a good purchase but the neighbour wanted too much for their property.

13. beachgurl

The council still has the owner details even if the rates notices are sent to a PM.

14. Kael

Kael Well-Known Member

Would they release those details though?

15. Esh

Esh Well-Known Member

Knock on the door? That way no questions about where you got their number from. Also would make you look extra keen knowing you got their number etc

16. beachgurl

Yes

Kael likes this.