How to approach neighbors to get storm water easement

Discussion in 'Development' started by htopg, 18th May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

They had their house on the market. I just sent them a follow up asking them to reconsider if their situation changed. A few months later I received an email from them to give the ok

2. htopg

htopg Well-Known Member

Back in May, the back neighbour asked for 25k which was too much.
    Then I went to look for alternatives.
    One alternative would be going through 2 side neighbours and then connect the council's storm water in the 3rd neighour's backyard.
    Unfortunately, the 2nd and 3rd neighbours were not so keen on this idea.
    My immediate neighbour was kind enough to grant me storm water easement but he would like me to chop down a 15-metre high tree in his backyard along his fence.
    The back neighbour behind my immediate neighbour is keen on $5000-$10000 compensation.
    So for me at the moment
    Option 1. $25000 compensation + cost to lay 60m of 150mm pipe
    Option 2. $10000 compensation + cost to lay 80m of 225mm pipe + cost to cut down a 15m tree

3. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

If you can get the neighbour to take the 5k and you can do the tree for a good price that may be the winner.

At a guesstimate you could say $300/m for the pipelaying, 330/m for the 225.
    If option two wants the 10k and the tree costs around 8k they'll both be the same cost
    *don't trust my numbers confirm with your own research :)

4. PMind

PMind New Member

Hi,
    I'm in a similar situation as this one, also in Hornsby Council, probably I have to discharge the storm water into the street kerb which is higher than my ground level, the only question I have is " Doesn't charged system also use natural gravity? "

5. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

My understanding is that a charged system uses some pressurisation and is not a gravity system.

6. dedalus

dedalus Member

I have a similar situation with my DA. The block slopes backward from the street about 1%. My solution which Council agreed to is to construct a raised and retained garden bed along the proposed driveway to the back block. The S/W will go back to the street in a pipe embedded in the garden bed. I'd suggest anyone facing this problem to get the invert levels at both the kerb and the the building envelope on the proposed back block checked by a surveyor. These levels should be on your DA site plan. You can also look at raising the building envelope ground level using certified fill. Water coming off the roof can usually be diverted using a combination of these 2 strategies. The main problem is the driveway. Council might consider semi-permeable construction or similar. Part of the driveway will be above the kerb invert anyway. You can divert some runoff using channel drains or similar. Spending big bucks on neighbour easements etc is something you should avoid. In most cases there are some alternative solutions.

Ethan Timor likes this.
  7. PMind

PMind New Member

Thanks for your suggestion. The bad thing for me is my drive way is 100 meters from kerb, and downhill slop is more than 1%, so looks like it's mission impossible.

8. Never giveup

Never giveup Well-Known Member

Given this thread still here-I do not want to start new one as my concern is related:-

Parramatta council area and run off from property at the back comes to our property and some goes to our neighbour and before rhe settlement we found out that our neighbour have complaint to council and council's guy came and worked with vendor and they have removed some stones etc in the back yard around pool and matter was fixed.

Since we have moved , neighbour has mentioned this once and with the recent rain fall I was mindfull hence I went to check and video the water comibg from backside neighbour into our property and some going into our neighbour.

I tried looking online and all they talk about us storm water management and due to slop water has to go somewhere.

Our property is on height than right side neighbour(who complaint) backside is higher than both of us and my ledt side is higher than us so their rainwater comes to our place.

In nutshell, I believe backside neighbour or the right side neighbour can put a drain on his side instead of complaining?