How tightfisted are you?

Discussion in 'Money Management & Banking' started by Darlinghurst Boy, 9th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jennifer Duke

Jennifer Duke Well-Known Member

Full disclaimer - not a nutritionist or health expert so get proper advice. But I know many runners and amateur athletes who are vegan. There are manyyy high profile athletes, weight lifters, boxers etc who are vegan :)

2. Mooze

Mooze Well-Known Member

We've (family of four - two adults and a 2.5year old and 4 month old) just sold the car. Challenging ourselves to see how long we can go before buying another one.
    Once a fortnight/every three weeks online ordered grocery delivery but all top ups get put in the pram for the 3k walk home from the shops - makes us question whether something is a need or a want.
    Bus at the end of our street to the city (off peak return cost less than fuel the other day). We also use bikes a lot.

We're frugal but not cheap. Still entertain friends, go overseas every two years (family visits), and have very busy lives (just more likely to find us hiking around mt cootha than at a pay to play place).

Westminster and 158 like this.
  3. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

Tim & Chrissy likes this.
  4. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

I just scored a whole truckload of furniture from a removals guy because he was afraid of it being nicked, just had to pay him 30 euro to help me move it all. Bargain ! I needed it to furnish a flat I bought. He was kind of returning a favor since I helped him move some Syrian refugee stuff couple of months ago. Also got other furniture free from people who didn't want it anymore, furniture is something you can source very cheaply or free.

5. moyjos

moyjos Well-Known Member

I (we) are like many others here.. Frugal but not cheap. I do have an abundant mindset, but money is just part of it. If I ask the universe for a new pair of shoes... Those exact same shoes will appear either on eBay or at my local op shop for a fraction of the full retail price. Money is just the concept of exchange for goods.

I look for value with what I want to purchase, without chasing around the last cent. i like quality products at a fair price. I only wear leather shoes cause vinyl makes my feet stink :) I like a particular clothing brand because the styles suit me etc etc. but I don't give a rats that is it is current season. Last years 70% off rack is just fine for me. :)

We also tend to look at money in multiples of what it takes to earn. Our business has a 25% nett profit , so a$100 "thing" means we have to sell $400. I use this technique to teach people the value of money. Eg. When my daughter started at Coles when she was 15 she was on $5 per hour. We were at the shops and she wanted a cute top $19.95. I said to her "yeah it is nice, but is it worth a whole Thursday night shift? ". The top stayed in the store.

6. moyjos

moyjos Well-Known Member

The other side is buying stuff that makes money.... Bring it on spend up big. . Eg a new piece of equipment at the factory is going to cost us $10k but the earnings from it will be many multiples of that.

EN710 likes this.