How tightfisted are you?

Discussion in 'Money Management & Banking' started by Darlinghurst Boy, 9th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lisa Parker

Lisa Parker Well-Known Member

wow! I wonder what he enjoys using his money for!

2. Lisa Parker

Lisa Parker Well-Known Member

It still surprises me that the people who think everyone else is out to get them or to rip them off are often the ones who are stealing things, lying to get upgrades or extras or manipulating systems to get what they think they are owed or deserve.

3. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I see it all the time in the supermarkets in inner Brisbane,most outlets mark down their meat-breads-fruits ect every morning 2 times a week,same people every time ,but i would not call them tight just street smart,then you see them in the carpark jumping into the latest 2 door amg merc,inbetween going into the bottleshop with the receipt from the super market for the six pack of imported beer for ten bucks,while in the local front bar one stubbie costs 8 bucks,
    then spend a long day doing nothing,without understanding or feeling the slightest amount of guilt..

Player likes this.
  4. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

I'm frugal for environmental as well as personal reasons.
    I have a real problem with consumption and the way everything is now designed to be thrown away. It's a tragedy for the planet as is damaging both ways on production and disposal. So I consume add little as possible in terms of solid goods.
    I cannot say 100 percent that also doesn't serve a selfish motivation to save money.

Mooze, MTR, freyja and 4 others like this.
  5. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

yup, a wonderful mix of being patronising, stingy, lacking empathy and just being an overall d##k.

"i showed that lady, no way was i paying $2 when i could get it for $1.50, doesnt matter that it would go a lot further for her than me. you've gotta watch out for these types you know"

MTR, Westminster, wylie and 2 others like this.
  6. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Not frugal. I'd buy decent things for my needs, and will splurge occasionally for great food and experience.

Can only agree with this and I'm part of the problem. I threw garbage every 1-2 days and just thought that the amount of things (mainly packaging) we throw is terrifying :oops: tried to have them in recycle bin when I can but just not good enough...

One thing I still don't understand is the amount items people replace in a short period of time - just because. Clothes, phones, shoes, bags, sofa... thrown away before they're broken. These are not suppose to be fast moving goods. I still have my clothes from 6 years ago, phones were replaced after they are broken... same with shoes and bags..

7. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

Why do you need all these brand name products?
    I have a Student who lives with me(wont say his Race as i could be branded Racist:rolleyes:) But he was complaining to me about not having money when i catch him buying wallets on Ebay .
    He then purchses these brand name mens perfumes .

Why is the need to buy these goods ?

8. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Not referring to me are you? :rolleyes: Ain't no buying Gucci and LV unless someone gifted them to me (which then I'd sell)

Not need. Wants.
    I don't know about others, I don't buy items simply because they're branded. I buy them if they performs better, has better warranty/functions I need, looks better, etc. Sometimes they happen to be branded. I'd pay $1000 for a quality ergonomic chair that will last for 10+ years compared to $100 chair that's broken after 1 year (happened).

Your student might buy the perfume because he likes the smell than because it is branded.

9. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Every single piece of furniture and ornamentation in my lounge is from the side of the road or a garage sale.
    And people say my lounge looks nice. Frequently I hear that.
    Over time I've been able to upgrade as I find better pieces on throwout days.

wylie, legallyblonde and WattleIdo like this.
  10. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

I can be tight, but have learnt over the years that there is a difference between cheap and value.

I'll never forget going to a shoe shop with my grandfather. He bought very expensive leather shoes. I couldn't believe that he'd spent so much money! Anyway 4 years later I noticed that he was still wearing the same shoes. It dawned on me that over four years I'd spent much more on crap shoes....

Never forgotten it.

11. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

How does he pay rent to you if he has no money.
    Does he use some sort of barter or exchange of services system?

Doncossack and Terry_w like this.
  12. citystar

citystar Well-Known Member

I can be tight but with the OP's example, no I don't take a measuring tape to the restaurant to check the plate sizes. I think that's extreme and to be honest the misses would be so embarrassed I'd never hear the end of it. An old school mates father use to turn the car engine off when going down hills to save petrol. If a friend of mine wanted to examine plate sizes at a restaurant I'd insist on paying for them so we could eat and then avoid going for meals with them again.

13. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

It's possible to be cash smart without taking little packs of sugar or abusing wait staff.

I could never allow myself to be tight, seriously taking packets of sugar saves you what a bag of sugar per year? I don't think I even use a whole bag in a year to be honest. What price is worth compromising our inner goodness and generosity?

I don't play pokies, I don't smoke and I don't spend money on brand name clothes, aftershaves or toys (interestingly enough, I did these things ALL THE TIME in my 20's and early 30's and always complained how I never had any money lol)

I DO have a nice ($200ish) bottle of scotch every couple of months, I DO go out to dinner or get takeaway whenever i feel like it. Some people may view that as wasteful but to me I do the things I need to do to secure my future without compromising current day.

moyjos, wylie and Whitecat like this.
  14. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Taking the odd sugar packet and abusing wait staff to take advantage of them are very different.
    Mosche & Co. just seem to be special for some reason.
    Hope this friend did not spit on the floor like Moshe does, after the meal did not meet his expectations.

158 likes this.
  15. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I do this as well when i remember... that musty smell from the air con is just terrible.

Westminster and Tony Fleming like this.
  16. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Have you taken on the German boy?

bob shovel likes this.
  17. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

I'm so tight I claim the Bic pen I use to sign leases as a deduction on my tax return. So as not mix up my deductible and non-deductible pens I tie a piece of ribbon around my lease signing pen. Of course, I claim the cost of the ribbon as part of managing my tax affairs.

freyja, Westminster, VB King and 7 others like this.
  18. Tony Fleming

Tony Fleming Well-Known Member

Haha maybe I don't think so in his case.

neK likes this.
  19. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Bic eh. How fancy pants @Ed Barton. The generic no name pens not good enough for you?

20. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

My environmentalism and my frugality are working well together. My meat is generally sourced locally (aka the paddock) and now I am trying to turn a black thumb green! I have just bought some potting mix, seedlings and seeds in an attempt to grow more of my own food. It will also be good for my diet as I hate wasting food, so I will be eating a lot more veggies in the near future!

Whitecat likes this.