NSW How thorough is your ingoing report?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by giraffez, 4th May, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. giraffez

giraffez Well-Known Member

I'm curious to find out how thorough you inspection reports are. I have had agents who doesn't give a damn and obvious they just rush through filling in the template. This agent didn't even get the tenant to sign it!

I've also had an agent who must have spend hours on it, and photos of everything and ended up as a 120 page report.

I am of the opinion this report is important because at the point of vacating, this is where you have evidence that something was broken or damaged. But if your agent doesn't do it properly, how to tell them to do it again especially once the tenants have moved in?

2. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I had one agency issue the same entry report for three tenants in a row, even after we had replaced appliances and repainted the entire inside a different colour. At first I let it go, because she did a report and over the next weekend we repainted and had the oven replaced before the next person moved in. I hand-wrote notations about the discrepancies. But then another year later - same report issued again.

3. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

When you have agents that are overworked, under time pressure, don't care or just inexperienced, then the report suffers.

My software comes with an app that details each room to make sure nothing gets missed. I like to get a couple pics of each room that details the walls/ceiling/floors, then specific ones for each element (blinds, lights, wardrobes, inside drawers, inside cupboards/vanities, taps etc) as well as anything that is particularly new or shows specific damage, plus making notes. Takes between half an hour and 2 hrs (40-120 pics) depending on the size of property but then I'm confident that everything is adequately recorded.

4. Michelle Evans

Michelle Evans Well-Known Member

Photos are everything. If you can’t see it you’re in trouble if you try and claim it regardless of the description unless it was brand new!

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  5. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Well-Known Member

Lessor/Agent can't make Tenant participate, but the Act places an obligation on the Tenant to do so, with a time frame of 3 days for the Tenant to then return a copy to the Lessor/Agent. If the Tenant does not, then they have no evidence to support any claim at the end or during the tenancy if there is a dispute. Of course the Lessor/Agent will have their completed copy and hopefully also date & time stamped photos as evidence to support their position.

MyPropertyPro and Tom Rivera like this.
  6. Michelle Evans

Michelle Evans Well-Known Member

We have the tenant sign stating they have received the entry report and that they tenant understands / accepts that they have 3 business days to return to the office, otherwise any changes / additions they want to make are invalid.

7. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

I always stress to my tenants that the most important thing they can do for themselves in their tenancy is to participate in filling out the entry condition report. I even give them a week to return it (instead of three days) and extend that period where necessary upon request.

I still get two thirds of tenants failing to return them. It's just how it is.

There's no hard and fast answer as to how well these reports are filled out. I feel like mine are full of useless extraneous information, but I've been doing it this way for years and it seems to impress the adjudicators- many agents only briefly describe fixtures and fittings, then mention noticeable wear and damage, which is probably just fine for the purpose. Many other agents wouldn't make 100 words across the whole report, which is definitely not good enough.

Thoroughness of photos is key to avoiding problems before they end up in tribunal, but the old Dinosaur Adjudicators still seem to like a well described written report over photos.

8. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

7 days to return in NSW but I agree with the sentiment - you can't force someone to return it (even if it is in their best interests) and as pointed out it is the tenant committing an offence under the Act, not the agent, by not returning a signed copy.

Having said that I have always thought it a bit more critical to push for a signed copy back in NSW. In QLD the RTA provide some pretty clear guidance:

"If the tenant does not complete and return the report it means they agree with the property manager/owner’s description of the property."

NSW don't seem to provide a clear statement on the topic so worthwhile pushing a bit harder to get it back. But again, you can lead a horse to water....

- Luke