How terrible is leasing a car for serviceability?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Tim86, 20th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Magnet

Magnet Well-Known Member

We have done the same with overestimating the K's & are in surplus. This will work out quite nicely! Thanks again.

2. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Wow. As someone who was considering leasing, I'm so glad I read this. Thanks.

markson and Tim86 like this.
  3. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

Creative idea @albanga - although it may appear in your YTD gross vs YTD taxable income balance differential though (depends on the payslip on how the breakdown is, some are more detailed than others). E.g. some payslips with no salary packaging has both written on it, equalling the same amounts given its all taxable.

If you have a lease you may change these numbers and it may be picked up by credit/broker. They may want an explanation, so it'd get factored into there as an ongoing repayment.

4. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

@Redom totally understand and best to know this before stuffing around making changes with your leasing company.

I know my company payslips are very simplistic. I guess that's one benefit to having a perm payroll program that was invented in the 20s. Haha

5. Magnet

Magnet Well-Known Member

Ok, thanks Redom. Our payslips have YTD unfortunately!

6. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

A $1000 per month lease would knock about $200k from your borrowing cap.

wombat777 and Tim86 like this.
  7. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Thats a big detriment when you are pushing the borrowing limits.

Terry_w likes this.
  8. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

So what is the best method to use to purchase a car?

Use refinanced homeloan money?

9. sumterrence

sumterrence Well-Known Member

Does the car need to be brand new? if not buy a cheap 2nd hand as you will be using it for work anyways, with the amount that you saved on a 2nd hand car it will have more than enough to pay for your on-going expenses without affecting your serviceability.

10. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

If you redraw you will end up with a mixed loan, but splitting the home loan and borrowing will probably be the best in terms of serviceability. Home loans generally have 30 year terms and the rate should be low.

Leases have short terms and therefore the monthly repayments high.

11. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

I'm testing this as I'm in the process of paying out my car lease so I can close the lease by the end of Feb. I think the lease impacted my serviceability in attempting to buy a second IP last year. Unfortunately I took out the lease about 5 months before I decided to invest in property. Aim is to refinance my PPOR (currently on 50/50 fixed/variable) after I come back from holidays in a few months time and then seek finance for a second IP.

12. H2hickster

H2hickster New Member

Had this problem myself. An alternate option is to not take on any lease's until AFTER you have financed your investment. Once that is bedded down, the leasing finance companies are usually for more forgiving and may still accept your car lease request. There is plenty of $ in it for them at the higher interest rates + some comfort in knowing the employer will always (nearly) pay the required monthly repayment straight from your pay to them. May only want to lease for 2 - 3 yrs though. As soon as you take it on, you have ruled out any more borrowing from the bank until the lease is paid out.

Dont claim to be an expert. Just an interested observer.

Tim86 likes this.
  13. Magnet

Magnet Well-Known Member

We did the same thing. Got the car leases and then 5 months later decided that we were going to buy IP's. We owned one IP at the time and have acquired 2 more since the car leases. We're in the process of searching for our 4th. I guess we will soon find out our seviceability limit. Hope it's further down the line!

Tim86 likes this.
  14. USC

USC Active Member

@Tim86 don't do it! Don't do it! (if you haven't already got that message from the other posts)

We have just been through this with our mortgage broker @Peter_Tersteeg - my husband's novated lease was a pain in the @ss for our latest purchase. That and complicated pay slips, ugh!

We considered paying out the novated lease loan out early ($38K) to gain the extra amount in serviceability (never quantified the actual amount of gain, perhaps between $100-200K). But got close to what we needed in the end from the bank, so didn't pursue.

Was not a good position to be in.

Moral of the story - do a PC/SS search before making any financial decisions lol

Frazz and Tim86 like this.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.