VIC How school zone are set in vic

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by Skyhighlimit, 17th Nov, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Do you think it is worth to buy at a good school zone when not planning to have kids...

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. Not

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. Skyhighlimit

Skyhighlimit Well-Known Member

I’m curios about how school zone in Vic are set? How do they change over time? Why two properties next to each other are different school zone?

Eg 1: 7 view Road Glen Waverley is in Glen Waverley Secondary school (highly sought after) https://m.realestate.com.au/property-townhouse-vic-glen+waverley-134879518

The next door 5 view road is in highvale Secondary school.

Eg2: more extreme example— both in the market, two houses apart. The one not in the good school zone despite being TWICE the land size, still cheaper...

https://m.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-glen+waverley-134703354

https://m.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-glen+waverley-134063194

Do you think it is worth to pay $$ for the school zone, given they are in the boundary and I guess the boundary changes over time...

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Just go through the posts here about PPOR in Melb - and how often people put "school zone" as top priority - it's definitely a huge factor IMHO especially among the asian community.

I am not sure how often the boundaries change - but a better tactic may be to buy in an area where the school's ranking may improve over time (due to influx/overflow of a high achieving sector of society).

The Y-man

Alf83, Bunbury and Skyhighlimit like this.
  3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

It is a fact based matter and "maps" are used. It also shows boundary schools nearby. Also consider MySchools website for reporting on key data concerning schools to see if there is a reason. Schools change, staff change and many other factors can affect reputation. Boundaries usually change with new openings or enrolment variations so in metro areas the changes will be less likely.

eg the green lines are boundaries so if the house is central these is minor chance of it changing

upload_2020-11-19_17-1-12.png

In NSW we also have these "selective state schools" and demand to get in is nuts. They are like super schools for the nerdy types to compete for. Local get in but a % of places are bid for like rare cars. people will go to lengths to buy in those areas to avoid the competition.

4. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Some different factors in your examples there.
    If you are searching the GW school zone (as appear to be), beware that large resi towers have just been completed on top of the Glen shopping centre.
    A large increase in residents right near the centre of the school zone has the potential to change the school zone especially if searching on the current boundaries (ie school capacity).

Also the example properties on Ivanhoe St are not exactly apples for apples - one is a very original looking house from the 60s/70s with more land, the other a lot newer on smaller land which will ‘generally’ appeal more to the high Asian demographic aiming for the GWSC zone.

I agree, even if the properties were reversed, that a price premium would apply for the one currently in the more desirable school zone.
    Note that Brentwood SC (14 Ivanhoe) also is a desirable zoning but to a lesser extent than GWSC.

Good luck with your search

5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I'd put "residents" in inverted commas :D:D:D:D

I still wonder how many will stay empty with the actual family living outside the zone in a big house...

The Y-man

craigc likes this.
  6. Ko Ko Naing

Ko Ko Naing Well-Known Member

Some families value kids education, while some might not too much. If your goal is to get your children to attend GWSC at one point, it might be good to buy close to the school early. If you don't have plan to have any children at all, I'm just wondering why competing with them? Highvale Secondary School is not a bad school either.

7. M_Chad88

M_Chad88 Member

Vic school zone boundaries are largely calculated on a very basic methodology of closest school as the crow flies. You’ll notice many of the rudimentary boundaries will go straight through the middle of land parcels. I believe they are working to be smarter and calculate via road distance to avoid situations of houses being zoned to schools that are obstructed by natural barriers eg: rivers. You can see they’ve made some manual adjustments there already.

Either way, the boundaries would change when new schools are built or schools close/change year level offerings.

Ideally the zones should also account for other things like total in zone demand, projected future enrolment demand, housing developments, public/private split, capacity of the site, etc.

School zones are a major contributor to housing demand, and the release of the my school website in 2010 makes it easy for families to research schools based on performance. People will literally shape their housing decisions around this, and opt to invest in good housing in a good school zone rather than pay expensive private school fees.
    As already noted, the closer you are the the school the less likely the zone will change.

8. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Correction: some families value kids memorising, while some value learning.