Education & Work How passionate are you about your work?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Sackie, 20th Dec, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

true true, but if its your passion, it wont feel like a job;)

2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

That depends on whether the output of the business (and therefore the income) is in direct proportion to the effort of the owner.

I've seen startups where the single owner works very hard for some period of time trying to build a concept, and then a product. That may be considered a job. Except that a job produces a reward for somebody else. In these cases, if the startup develops a successful product (hiring people along the way), and the product becomes scalable, the output no longer completely depends on the effort of the owner. The owner of a successful startup is probably still a driving force, but the return becomes very large in proportion to the owner's efforts.

kierank and ChrisP73 like this.
  3. ChrisP73

ChrisP73 Well-Known Member

Fair enough point @kierank
    Agree. Even better is no employees but very, very highly rate of return for marginal effort of business owner / director.

Archaon and kierank like this.
  4. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Yep, I created two start-ups in my working life.

But, I have also seen start-ups where the business owner was the only employee years and years later.

These “business” owners thought they owned a business. IMHO, they didn’t, they created a job for themselves.

There is nothing wrong with that, but I feel sad that they kid themselves into thinking they own a “true business”. There is heartache coming their way at some time down the track. They will be surprised/upset to find out that their little “business” is worth very little/nothing.
    Now it is a business, in the true sense of the word, even though it could still be in start-up phase.

Now the business is worth something.

5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@kierank without me... my 'business' is worth peanuts.... it's a one man show...

Unless someone wants to pay for all my good contacts..:D

Last edited: 22nd Dec, 2019
    ChrisP73, lixas4 and kierank like this.
  6. kierank

IT IS A JOB :p.

On a serious note, over the years, I have met many “one wo/man bands” who thought they owned a “business” (they were the only employee) that they could sell later.

Once I pointed out that they had a job, some embarked on a journey to create a “true” business which did wonders to their cashflow and Net Worth.

Others didn’t (and that is fine) but at least now they know they only really have a job, not a asset they can sell later.

Last edited: 22nd Dec, 2019
    charttv likes this.
  7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

What i really like about my 'business' is 90% of the work is done by and managed by others. I just delegate over the phone/internet/email, then sit back mostly. I can (and have) been holidaying in Europe, on a beach in Bali or steaming ahead on a P&O to where ever I desire, for as long as I wish. My 'business' still gets done.

I'd like to see business owners (in the true sense) do the same :p

kierank likes this.
  8. kierank

Ah, you have “contracted” employees.

Some employees get paid by a Payroll System and others (“contracted” employees) get paid on submission of invoices.

So, we agree - you have business :D.

Sackie likes this.
  9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Dam! I didn't want one...:eek::D

KateSydney and kierank like this.
  10. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Work a manual labour hands on repetitive job.
    Had more hopes for it about 3 years ago, but whilst applying for 6 promotions (some just side steps with no increase in pay just new tasks to learn) and being passed over for people less competent than I, looking elsewhere for fulfillment, my 10 year Long service leave is available soon, not sure I will be working full-time at the company much after that.

11. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

what was it?

12. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

To practice humility let's leave it at that just very nice Shiraz.;)

13. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

More so out of interest I like my wines... which region? I'll try guess haha

14. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Barossa Valley or Clare Valley in SA.
    We also like unusual wines like from Israel Yarden brand (Golan Heights Winery), did you try any of these?

15. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

16. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Recently left a stressful role, and I am so grateful that I was able to get out. My former work colleagues who stayed in that company for a long time, have suffered from ill-health which was caused by work stress.

The role was a promotion from my previous role, but not worth having a fancy job title and a high salary if it impacts your health and family life.

Unfortunately, not quite at a stage when I can just walk out and tell the boss exactly what I think of him or her before my grand exit.

17. random

random Well-Known Member

l have done my dream job , did for 13yrs but funny, l quit it because of things about it l just didn't like or enjoy living. And l've also done pretty well every other dream l've ever had in life too like traveled for 10yrs , own acreage and lots of other things.
    So my job now , a tiny business, it gives my what l want from a job now . lt's not my passion, l've done those, now l just want something l relatively still enjoy that gives me the freedom, hours and money l need and that isn't too stressful. lt's not perfect and comes with headaches sometimes but it's close enough to see me through from here in the way l like sooooo, l'm quite content with it.

Empire and Gockie like this.
  18. Vertigo

Vertigo Well-Known Member

There is a great book called the values factor, and if you are suffering through the day to day grievances over what you should do with your life or hate your job I implore you to read it. He takes a great view on how you can make life decisions based on what you love and instructions he gives can also help you practically

dubrex and KateSydney like this.
  19. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

I'm passionate about leaving.

Work recently offered voluntary redundancy and now are retracting to revisit in 2 months, very ******.

Kassy, Perp and Bunbury like this.
  20. Rugrat

Rugrat Well-Known Member

I am a stay at home mum of 6 kids, 3 with special needs. So I would say I am extremely passionate about my job. It's just a bummer there is no money in it. ;)

But it's probably a good thing I am passionate about it, seeing as I cannot afford to go into regaular 9-5 paid employment. Childcare costs and such mean that me getting a paid job at this point in time, I would actually end up worse off financially. Go figure. That should change when my youngest kids are all school aged. But if I do get a paid job then, it will be because I want to do it, not because I need to.
    Maybe I will finally put a couple of my degrees to use...

mikey7, Kassy, TMNT and 4 others like this.