Education & Work How passionate are you about your work?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Sackie, 20th Dec, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I know this will **** some people off but, if you are the only one who works in your business, you don’t have a business.

What you have is a job :eek:.

Nothing wrong with that but don’t kid yourself, it is NOT a business!!!

Last edited by a moderator: 21st Dec, 2019
    Archaon likes this.
  2. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

True if it's a business that makes money as a direct result of your time input (e.g. Jim's Mowing), but not true of a business like mine (selling computer apps) where the business continues to generate money when you're asleep or on holiday. That said, the value of the business is the difference between net cash generated and the market rate for your input.

Archaon and lettert like this.
  3. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Agree, in true business owners or others can manage people and processes, leverage of people and processes.
    If one has to turn up to work and generate the income than one is self-employed or as you put it has a job. Agree nothing wrong with that but a lot of hard work as one needs to be all departments in one.
    Hence why many would prefer owning a true business as profits are infinite or not limited, however this is easier said than done. It's not easy to do and to stay competitive.
    That's why in our business we can leave it and others would run it, other staff have various delegated tasks that each does (hire people, quote/run jobs, train, create paperwork, buy supplies, accounts, pays, etc...) but as owners you wish to be involved more so with building and sustaining relationships, as IMHO, businesses or companies are really organisations made up of people that should work together or to common goal/mission, and with innovation or more problem solving providing alternative solutions, or being creative (or staying alive to be competitive as cannot stay the same, wouldn't last)...

kierank likes this.
  4. kierank

I have a very simple question to determine whether one has a business or a job.

If you get hit by “the proverbial bus“, what does your business earn? what is it worth?

If the answer to either of these questions is zero, then you have a job, not a business.

Sad but true.

MWI and lifecompetitor like this.
  5. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

I suppose the question in this thread to me personally may hide an ambiguous meaning, in what it asks, assuming all have a job or do something for a living.
    I recently was asked a question, "Have I reached my full potential?", and my answer would be a resounding no as I believe, I still have lots to learn and experience until I die.
    I think without struggle there is no progress, without progress there is no action, without action there is no result, hence no fulfillment.
    So if I stand still I feel I am practically going backwards hence I chose to do and live the life by setting 'audacious goals' not just in financial respect.
    On the other hand I had to learn and practice humility otherwise it is very hard to discover happiness. So personal development to me is a very passionate and rewarding work too.

Brady, Archaon, VanillaSlice and 3 others like this.
  6. lifecompetitor

lifecompetitor Well-Known Member

Whoaaa this is deep for a Friday evening!

Someone pass me the beer.

MWI likes this.
  7. kierank

Or a second bottle of Shiraz!!!!

Brady, Codie, Angel and 1 other person like this.
  8. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

This is really true but I just came back from dinner with spouse and we did have a very nice bottle of Shiraz (one of my favourite wines!).;):D

kierank likes this.
  9. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

I thought many will not really understand...you did, amazing?:eek: Agree with the Friday night comment, that's what I love about Australia and the people... so funny and easy going too...and like a bit of alcohol too, everything in moderation, right?
    I am like @kierank a wine person instead of beer.;)

kierank likes this.
  10. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

11. lifecompetitor

lifecompetitor Well-Known Member

Yes just a bit of banter done in jest. I totally get your point.

My contemplative deep moments tend to come in the early mornings or after a few quite ones.

MWI and kierank like this.
  12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I do too. I'll often ride my bike to work around the harbour to the city and back out another way. It's a long commute but I love it.

It puts me in the right frame of mind for the day. :rolleyes:

At least I don't need to commute home.

ellejay and KateSydney like this.
  13. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

ta

rolf

14. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

My work and I mutually parted company a month ago. So far neither is missing the other. So from 1 ☹️ To 10

KateSydney, ellejay, Nodrog and 2 others like this.
  15. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

For me, work is about intellectual stimulation & challenges in my chosen profession.
    I have not found a viable substitute & find I become somewhat withdrawn without it.

As the primary motivation for my chosen work has shifted from financial reward to personal satisfaction, I guess this can now be deemed as passion.

Rugrat, KateSydney, paulF and 2 others like this.
  16. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Used to be well over 10 or even 15.

That changed a short while ago when a new superviser started at work.

One of those fake people who seem fabulous and charming to management and a lot of others outside the team - but much less so to the actual team who had to deal with a micromanaging, control freak.

The best news ever for 2020 is that she is leaving and hopefully over the next few months the rest of us can recover our mojo.

Last edited: 21st Dec, 2019
    lixas4 and KateSydney like this.
  17. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

a 6 for me, would happily give it up if financially I could

not sure if there is anything I would want to do 8 hours per day, 5 days+ out of pure pleasure

18. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

My working life experiences would have been around the 2-3 mark, so I guess that’s why I don’t work anymore.

However, when I was working I’d push myself as hard as I could to be as productive as possible all the time, whether it was labouring on low wages or making close to 7 figures annually in a small business.

Working life was like life training/education and being passionate was never really a consideration.
    Just a means to an end, which allowed early retirement to pursue other challenges.

19. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Job and business arent mutually exclusive

Last edited by a moderator: 22nd Dec, 2019
  20. kierank

Totally agree.

One can own a business and work in that business (that is have a job), along with other employees.

But IMHO if one owns a business and you are the ONLY employee, then that is a job, not a business.