How our perception controls almost everything

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Sackie, 3rd Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I came across this and thought it was so brilliantly put. We can only 'see' what we have been exposed to or expose ourselves to. Makes complete sense to me. I thought others might like it.

The question, "Is the glass half empty or half full?" serves to demonstrate the way an object can be perceived in different ways.

Just as one object can give rise to multiple percepts, so an object may fail to give rise to any percept at all: if the percept has no grounding in a person's experience, the person may literally not perceive it.

The processes of perception routinely alter what humans see. When people view something with a preconceived concept about it, they tend to take those concepts and see them whether or not they are there. This problem stems from the fact that humans are unable to understand new information, without the inherent bias of their previous knowledge. A person's knowledge creates his or her reality as much as the truth, because the human mind can only contemplate that to which it has been exposed. When objects are viewed without understanding, the mind will try to reach for something that it already recognizes, in order to process what it is viewing. That which most closely relates to the unfamiliar from our past experiences, makes up what we see when we look at things that we don't comprehend. Clearly our culture plays a part here, as does our past history and experience with others."
    (Compiled from data written by Jessica Tapman, Devin McClellan, & Brandy Sellers in
    "Perception, The Self, and Communication")

Player likes this.
  2. Player

Player Well-Known Member

...........and from NLP circles "The map is not the territory."

I like this part...........

Bold emphasis mine.

As I accumulate birthdays, more and more I enjoy having conversations with people much older than myself. They are the fountain of wisdom that I used to neglect (or not acknowledge) in my younger years.

Heinz57 and Sackie like this.
  3. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

I agree - as long as you can hand-pick those who you talk to, because Jeezus H - old folks can be a P.I.T.A to listen to....:rolleyes:

4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I love old folks..even the crazy ones...:D

5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Are you into NLP?

Without sounding too nutty, I am a huge fan of it and I like to think i have used it successfully over the years in negotiations, contacts, making impressions, persuasion, drawing information, influencing etc etc

6. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

we all think we make decisions everyday

Mostly we dont.

Those daily decisions were made long ago, my personal and client experience in goals coaching etc tells me that 98 % of our decisions are actually hardwired outcomes from concepts that many times no longer apply, and very often dont serve.

While we can "change in a heartbeat" , real decisions require current input and assessment, not stuff that we are dragging around from long defunct experiences.

ta
    rolf

7. Player

Player Well-Known Member

I think it offers some valuable tools for both personal life and business/investing interactions. I did a short course some years back and read a couple of books. I think Richard Bandler is what got Tony Robbins started on his path to his neuro associative conditioning and the various modalities he's put forward over the years.

It's another tool for the tool box. Having read some of your posts Leo, I know you'll agree there's no one size fits all. Take the best that each author, proponent, method, etc., offers and apply to your own life and that's how people get empowered and can improve.

As the late Jim Rohn used to say..........stronger, wiser, better............

Sackie likes this.
  8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree mate. Also agree re Richard Bandller's influence.

Cheers.