How old is old?

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Rentvester, 10th Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Electrical wiring in the brain is going, structural issues in the hip still need fixing.

2. Rentvester

Rentvester Well-Known Member

@Bonz @Gockie Thank you, I have actually never thought about insulation and the cost of utility bills! Sounds like its mostly structural and wiring issues that I really have to keep a lookout.

@Westminster Restumping sounds like a job and a half !

3. Bonz

Bonz Well-Known Member

Most structural maintenance issues are relatively easy to deal with, and in the scheme of thing relatively cheap to fix. Retro fitting a home with insulation, double glazed windows and heat recovery units to reduce utility costs and make a home more livable is not cheap.

Not doing the upgrade just means you are pumping money into the utility companies pocket for no net benefit. A properly constructed home should cut a third off your power bill. Apply the saving to your mortgage and do the sums on how much more quickly you pay the mortgage down. It's anno brainer really.

4. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

That is the important part !

I wonder why someone did not come here earlier so we could have some of them now :)

teetotal, Heinz57 and Gockie like this.
  5. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Are you sure you haven't got us mixed up? I had my hip rewired & restumped a few years ago now..

Marg4000 likes this.
  6. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Well you are both about the same height

7. Rentvester

Rentvester Well-Known Member

@Gockie The design and build of those houses must be quite amazing to be still habitable after 400 years
    I agree that upgrades to reduce utility costs are important, but I think the law of diminishing returns apply here, and I need to find a right balance in terms of renovating/repairing the house. i.e. if I do purchase the house and the roof is falling apart, heating and insulation wouldn't be my greatest concern, and it would be on the " this can wait " list :p

8. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

I think good maintenance is a huge factor.

An old house well maintained can involve less future expense than another house half its age that has been neglected.
    Marg

wylie likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia