how often should PM inspect an IP

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by invest123, 3rd Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

Even drug manufacturers are in business to make money so they try to minimise their overheads by paying for cheap rental/low rent properties. So don't buy in cheap rent areas.

2. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

Hehe this is what my mum said to me! I only have one IP and I seemed to have fluked awesome tenants... My IP is local so I drive by occasionally and I am yet to ever see the lawn look anything other than perfect. I will be conducting quarterly inspections for the first year but if they are keen to stay (I hope they are)... I would have no problems conducting bi-annual inspections.

3. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Mine provide photographic evidence.

4. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

My PM insists on 4 per year, sends me an invitation and after inspection a full report with date stamped photos.

5. ZachAnsel

ZachAnsel Well-Known Member

I specifically request 3 times a year, with photo provide for the first 2 years.

Some PM charge extra, but still reasonable

6. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Our legal system does not hold others accountable for illegal activities unless somehow involved. Can you explain what you mean here ?

I think early checks are a good idea, but quarterly no matter what would seem like interfering with quiet enjoyment,

I would think 3 first year and two after should work ok, with some events triggering more frequent checks.

7. Michelle Evans

Michelle Evans Well-Known Member

old post, but need to add in Victoria - legally we're only allowed to inspect at 3 months, then every 6 months after that - this is unless you suspect a breach, so you can issue a notice of entry under suspicion the tenant is breaching their tenancy agreement - but technically it's not a routine (and I wouldn't recommend doing that at month 6 and month 12 just to get 4 routines in as that won't fly in Victoria)

8. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

What is your actual concern?
    Too many inspections, not enough?

9. Michelle Evans

Michelle Evans Well-Known Member

No concern for me - just adding to the information of the initial thread - you can't do 4 routine inspections a year in Victoria, but it's standard in WA - would be nice if all the states had a standard set of rules so we're all operating with the same legislation (would make it easier when explaining to owners who have properties interstate as well why here in Vic we can't do things their PM does in Perth for example)

Tom Rivera likes this.

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.