How often do you check your super balance?

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by Chicken or Beef?, 21st Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Chicken or Beef?

Chicken or Beef? Well-Known Member

With all the volatility over the last 6 months I have got into the habit of checking it daily online! It’s just too easy! I kind of miss the old days when I would get 2 paper statements a year in the mail.

2. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

When the market is rising weekly, when it’s not I don’t look at it at all..:p

Heinz57 likes this.
  3. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I check every week or so. I am glad I did because my unit price dropped below the 12 month low. I immediately started pouring in as much spare cash as I could. I'm a little disappointed in a way that the unit price has gone back to near 12 month highs. I was quite enjoying buying units at a discount!

4. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Daily.. Its too easy....

5. bashworth

bashworth Well-Known Member

Every 2-3 months.

I do watch the ASX 200 and the S&P500 most days to get an idea of the likely movement of the proportion of my super invested in shares.

6. Air_Bender

Air_Bender Well-Known Member

Fortnightly.

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Track it monthly, also serves as a check that the employer contributions have been made.

8. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Since employers are only obliged to pay each quarter all employees should habitually check each quarter to ensure their 9.5% or more has been received by the fund. The employer is obliged to have paid the super into the fund within 28 days of the end of each quarter : ie 28 July, 28 Oct, 28 Jan and 28 April

For investment performance thats a harden issue to address. For many people watching how their fund performs v's others may be a more meaningful measure each 6 months or so...Often funds have the 6 month results within 30-50 days of the end of each half year. Their website is one source. ChantWest provide a great comparison tool

Kat likes this.
  9. JohnPropChat

JohnPropChat Well-Known Member

Once a week. All new contributions go into cash until I switch them over to something else after getting a feel for market sentiment. I used to do this before SMSF but the same strategy works naturally in an SMSF.

10. HomePage

HomePage Well-Known Member

Monthly, to update Quicken and to make sure my wife's employer contribution is being paid correctly.

11. moridog

moridog Well-Known Member

I’d been part time for six months last year, now I’m back full time I’m salary sacrifice that half of my wages I wasn’t getting into super and pulling the belt in. I check it at least once daily!

12. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Do you have a contribution limit?

13. moridog

moridog Well-Known Member

No ,purely by luck. I’d joined one Govt agency over 20 years ago, when I changed careers I remained a State Government employee. So, I can contribute what I want as I belong to the previous scheme, not the super duper one that people speak of in hushed terms, the one after!

JohnPropChat and Gockie like this.
  14. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

I've moved the bulk of my super to LICs, ETFs and ASX300 shares. I prefer the extra level of control over my investment mix.

I manually enter the trades into sharesight and use that to track performance as the interfaces that super providers generally have for monitoring performance is terrible.

Still using ING Living Super. I don't want the complexity of an SMSF. Keen for more funds to offer this type of product. No Direct Investment Product can currently compete with ING on range of ETFs and LICs.

Still waiting for someone to come along with a better Direct Investment product with a better interface for issuing trades. The ING interface is not the best.

I'd really just like commsec to directly offer a product with a competitive fee structure.

15. Andrew Schonberger

Andrew Schonberger New Member

Once a year when the financial statements are done.

I check contributions are received every quarter, but I’d still be none the wiser about the balance.

16. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I check the share prices nearby every day but I formally record the portfolio balance every Quarter for monitoring purposes.

17. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

I don't. Accounting firm does yearly though. That's their job.