How much western blockout is enough?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Lizzie, 6th Nov, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

The one on the left we teach from the top deck. It has a locking bar running across that you twist to lock in place

Problem with the pull down screen is that it is fully exposed to the brutal westerlies, so we have to put it up on those days, which defeats the purpose of sun blocking ... but ... I do like to have an option of the blind, just not all the way across, as would then have no screening on the days it's really really needed (both sun and wind from west)

As said, it's only $135 for fixed screen. Will give it a go

Propin and wylie like this.
  2. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I would go with 72% for reducing summer sun. You can always unscrew it in winter for a few months if need be.

Marg4000 likes this.
  3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Despite being quite thick ... too flexible. Trying to convince hubby laser cut would be best

4. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

If you can get your hands on Giant Salvia that may do well until the other vines grow. They respond really well to being supported, and will grow taller. You cut down to ground level in winter, then they grow again in Spring. My tallest is about 2.5m -3m. I love this colour!!

Attached Files:

5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Looking at something needing to be 3-4 meters at the top

Decided to just put shade cloth in a frame and see how it lasts

Propin likes this.
  6. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

I think our big trim back last year of the grape vines have made these go crazy. Trim away on the tips Lizzie! I thought they were going crazy in my yard and I’ve given away heaps but it looks like I’m feeding the neighbourhood who walk down the laneway. My neighbour just sent me this. 31C32112-BAD2-4AE7-BDAF-F3ACFD29F0B9.png

7. dave80

dave80 Well-Known Member

I used the Pillar graphite glare tint from Bunnings and agree, it absolutely works but my god it is a deadset prick of a thing to put on properly, particularly measuring, cutting & applying to sash windows.